May 19, 2020
So i'm upgrading my current Intel system to AMD and i came across some things about reinstalling windows due to that.

My current motherboard is a ASUS PRIME Z-270-A and i'm upgrading it to a ASUS PRIME X-570 PRO with a Ryzen 3800x, the question is, will i need to reinstall windows? i have no clue where my key is tho.

Solution
Can i do a backup of my current window's setting's and stuff and then restore that same backup into the new setup? if so, how do i do that?
No.
That is no different than trying to move the actual drive (or clone of it).

With all new hardware, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. If boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.

Intel->AMD = yes, you need to do a full wipe and reinstall.
Start clean.

This is different than reusing the license key.

johnsoner13

Respectable
If you’re logged onto Windows on a microsoft account, your key SHOULD be linked to it and when you reinstall Windows and log back in on your account, you should have an activated Windows.
And you should definitely fresh install

Reactions: DMAN999
May 19, 2020
If you’re logged onto Windows on a microsoft account, your key SHOULD be linked to it and when you reinstall Windows and log back in on your account, you should have an activated Windows.
So i was able to find my windows key. I have windows 10 installed in one of my ssd's, the thing is, will i have to back up that ssd before proceeding to reinstall the new cpu+motherboard? Can i do a backup of my current window's setting's and stuff and then restore that same backup into the new setup? if so, how do i do that?

USAFRet

Titan
Can i do a backup of my current window's setting's and stuff and then restore that same backup into the new setup? if so, how do i do that?
No.

1. If boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
I've seen all 3.

Start clean.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
May 19, 2020
No.

1. If boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely.
I've seen all 3.

Start clean.

Hm i see. My sdd currently holds windows, so should i format it first before installing the new board and cpu?

USAFRet

Titan
Hm i see. My sdd currently holds windows, so should i format it first before installing the new board and cpu?
No.
During the install in the new hardware, you boot from a Win 10 USB, and delete all the existing partitions on that drive.

Just like this: