Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I know this topic is in way of major discussion and that innumerable facts and points of view may matter drastically within it. Yet I feel tempted to find out what you think and which side you are on!

Do write up! Thank you!

(I'm personally on Intel's side of the boat.)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Personally think that since the introduction of AM4 that it has gone back and forth quite a bit. I liked AM4, jumped on board for 1xxx release and went through quite a few iterations of Ryzen builds. My biggest complaint is also a very interesting precedent where it comes to updating your system. The continued AM4 support was both nice as well as a headache as it related to (and continues to relate to) BIOS and having not only the proper one, but the proper mobo/CPU combo to do so. It all got rather muddled in the end and led to a point of steering me away from recommending AMD Ryzen based systems.

A year ago I had my two main work/play systems based in Ryzen. One of them was more current, and the other was made of parts after updates. I liked them plenty enough but made the decision to go back to Intel. Currently, out of (6) systems that I work or play with and administrate, only (1) of them is Ryzen now.

I know this topic is in way of major discussion and that innumerable facts and points of view may matter drastically within it. Yet I feel tempted to find out what you think and which side you are on!

Do write up! Thank you!

(I'm personally on Intel's side of the boat.)

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

This could be a fun/dangerous thread! LOL

There are a lot on either side, who really can be fan boys. But lots too (like me) who buy whatever hardware suits their needs at a specific price, and a specific time.

I've 2 AMD systems. 3 Intel.

I like the most right now, that both AMD and Intel are driving each other to serious performance levels. It's arguable which is best, because there are so many variables to base it on.

I like Tom's breakdowns like this: AMD vs Intel: Which CPUs Are Better in 2022? | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com) - Yes, they are just an overview, but accurate enough for what they are.

I think both Intel and AMD have something for everyone (yes, AMD are a little overpriced right now).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
buy whatever hardware suits their needs at a specific price, and a specific time.

I've 2 AMD systems. 3 Intel.

I like the most right now, that both AMD and Intel are driving each other to serious performance levels.

Yes, if nothing else this competition got Intel off its laurels and back to work on price performance.

I tend to stay just behind the curve with systems and try to wait for the new release products to cause last gen parts to go on nice price breaks. I paid right at $100 for two different generations of Ryzen 7, and not a whole lot more than that for an i9 just by biding my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.