Intel's Future Chips: News, Rumours & Reviews

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Yeah well my only hopes amazon who i hope to god don't add an incredibly dumb premium to their chip. Just because some guy in japan was selling the chip for 5k a few days ago drop the price by a few hundred dollars and say you're saving money. My only hope is tiger direct then, if amazon does what i hope they don't.

logainofhades

Titan

Nah just a better CPU for folding. 3770k is a better folder than a 3570k.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Oh that, didn't know it was called folding. Well i'd do it, but i'm kind of a selfish piece of sh*t. Maybe i'll put it on my old i7 870.

Update on skygate* good news everyone. http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Boxed-I7-6700K-Processor-BX80662I76700K/dp/B012M8LXQW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1440453941&sr=1-2&keywords=i7+6700k

Amazon has put an official listing up. Processors might be coming soon, and its cheaper then newegg which is a double shocker considering it's usually the other way aroudn at 350.00

Doubley good news everyone amazon expects stock within "We are expecting a new stock for this item in next 7-10 days." Bout time!

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
New 5x5 form factor with a socket.

5x5_11_575px.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9556/intel-launches-new-socketed-minipc-motherboards

logainofhades

Titan

If the IGP were better, it would be a consideration. I think I will stick with mini-itx, with a dedicated GPU option. I would like to see mobile slots, for memory put on ITX boards, for more ram capability.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Should handle ultra-small HTPC (no gaming) duties w/o any issues though right? Of course, Intel would have to put out a 65W LGA socket CPU first (likely with Iris Pro Graphics) for that to really be an option. All the 65W TDP CPUs I'm seeing are BGA...

Of course when the Skylake with GT4e comes out it will make it better fo a HTPC. I see this as a great HTPC solution.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

Super-mini itx, ultra-mini itx, mini-mini itx, smaller then mini itx?

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
"Anyone actually know what the stock voltage for Skylake is? I've seen claims form some of 1.35 V out of the box."

My i5 6600k is at 1.2 normally. The other day I got it up to 4.4GHZ Prime95 stable with a mild 1.3V overvolt. About 60C with a NZXT Kraken X61 in performance mode. I want to sell the processor once I get the I7, so I didn't want to push 1.4V.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Just got this Email from B&H...

"The following item(s) will be shipped directly to you by the manufacturer/distributor. We have submitted our purchase order to the manufacturer/distributor and the estimated shipping time is 09/24/2015 based on availability

One more month... I sure hope this is just a really conservative estimate.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

+100 you sir or madam with the internets

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

They did it with Broadwell: 65W socketed CPUs with Iris Pro.

Sorry, I didn't get that.

By "discrete" CPU you mean they'll offer them on PCIe cards? Or you mean to the "old way" of just "CPU" inside a... "CPU"? haha

Cheers!

EDIT: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9562/intels-skylake-gpu-analyzing-the-media-capabilities

That is an interesting read. And, notice under "Display Capabilities" what Intel put there: "HDMI 2.0 (via DP to HDMI 2.0 converter)". So, there are converters already. We need to find them, haha.

EDIT2: Wow, I just read the quoted text in your post. Talk about slowpoke, hahaha.

SO it looks like they are planning on making a addin card for encoding purposes. That will be interesting to see how that works out. QuickSync is already amazingly fast so dedicated hardware would probably make it even faster.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I had to do a double take too. It's actually 3 CPUs on a single PCIe card.

It won't be cheap as those are Broadwell with the eDRAM.

It does make sense though... I mean, Intel is betting for a niche industry that is growing at a very fast pace there.

Streaming companies like Twitch and Google (Youtube) and even Sony (Gaikai?) with MS (?? xD) might be interested in having more "realtime" processing capabilities for video processing without saturating the main server resources. Specially being some-what able to support custom encoding solutions they want to implement.

So, even if they're not cheap, I can totally see big players hogging them like pigs inside a McDonald's dumpster hogging leftovers.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.