Intel's Future Chips: News, Rumours & Reviews

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PS4 is not DX12 capable. They use a custom Linux kernel for the OS and a custom OpenGL API for the graphics layer. At best they might be able to upgrade it to Vulkan but that is if the AMD APU supports Vulkan which I do not think that it does.

jdwii

Splendid

Actually i can't see no reason why it wouldn't support it
"Initial specifications state that Vulkan will work on hardware that currently supports OpenGL ES 3.1 or OpenGL 4.X and up"
Also Vulkan or 12 won't bring anything positive for the consoles since they already have those capabilities(as close to the metal as possible) since the odyssey. If anything i see this being bad and allowing dev's to make faster less optimized ports for the consoles with a one for all approach.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
I'm doubting the ps4's graphical throughput i remember reading it had about 50% more shaders then the xb1 apu. That and coupled with the fact i strongly doubt microsoft would just give a free boost to the competition without some sort of monetary gain maybe make a deal like how m.s. lost the hd v bluray war and now pays a commission to the blu ray conglomerate with sony. That and coupled with the fact this would only work if they thought that far ahead. Unless the xb1 and ps4 apu's are very similar i doubt their going to have dx 12 capability. I honestly don't think sony planned that far ahead. But that's my opinion i'd love to see a some improvements on both ends, but i think this is just m.s.'s play to even the console field a bit. Less 3rd party games with some weird off shoot 1900 x 800 resolution. Though one can always hope.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Bad news everyone an old hyper 212 plus will not work with the 6700k on an z170-a motherboard. For whatever reason when i plug the cpu coolers fan into the cpu socket it refuses to post. Also the retention mechanism on the hyper 212 plus gets warped when trying to fit it into the socket only allowing for 2 screws. It will however only give me a warning when unplugging the 212 cooler. I guess i'll jerry rig the cpu cooler on and plug the fan into a regular fan socket? If anyone has any cpu cooler suggestions be sure to pm me.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Actually the apu inside of ps4 has the capability, furthermore ps4 already has a low level api which incorporates async shaders infamous second son and BF4 both used async shaders on ps4

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

I still have my doubts, the only avenue of getting that kind of tech is through dx12. And i doubt m.s. would just hand it over without some royalty fee's. Maybe they could run some off shoot of mantle but i still have my doubts. Only time will tell.

The PS4 never supported any level of DX because Sony doesn't have access to the .dll's required to execute it. Sure, the HW is perfectly capable of doing it, but the SW isn't.

Nevermind the libgcm library is already ridiculously low level; far lower then any of the proposed API's are going to go, so there isn't a need for a low-level graphics API.

honkuimushi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Here's an article from a Japanese parts retailer about the capabilities of the locked i7 and i5s. The K series processors are also included, so it should give some basis for comparison.

http://review.dospara.co.jp/archives/52144272.html

It is unfortunately, only in Japanese. Still, the most of the charts have enough numbers and English names to be decipherable. The tests were performed on an ASRock z170 Extreme 6, using 16 GB of unspecified DDR4-2133 and using only the integrated graphics. They also Used a 650W XFX XTR PSU and Windows 10 Professional 64 bit.

The first chart has Cinebench and Hyper Pi(in seconds).
The next chart has benchmarks from 5 different MMOG benchmarks running in a 1280 x 720 window. They are Phantasy Star Online 2, Monster Hunter Frontier Online, Final Fantasy XIV: a Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, and Dragon Quest 10.

The last chart shows power consumption, with the first column being Idle, the second being Prime 95, the third being while running the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark and the last one showing peak power consumption while running Prime 95 and the Monster Hunter benchmark together.

The i7 6700 and 6700T were singled out for having especially good performance per Watt. Unfortunately, they didn't include many of the benchmarks that are popular on English tech sites. They did list the free version of 3DMark's Sky Diver as one of the tests, but it was not included on any of the charts.

But if anyone is trying to decide between a K series or one of the locked CPUs, it might be useful. Also of note is that the locked chips are widely available at prices around $20 over the 1K pricing once you convert the currency, and that includes the 8% VAT.
http://kakaku.com/pc/cpu/itemlist.aspx?pdf_ma=39

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
I don't know if this is of any help, but i finally got my hyper 212 plus working kind of. Turns out the fan plug for the cooler wasn't all the way in. But the retention screws for the 212 plus still don't fit, could only end up getting three of the four in. With about an hour of messing around.

What i've noticed so far, going from an old nehalem chip to a new skylake. For one about an average of 20-30 fps gains. Stable frames, no drops if they do happen it's minimal. In mad max that is. I'd test other games, but my secondary hdd pooped out on me. Granted it is overclocked through asus's horrible optimzation tool to 4.6 ghz. The most important thing i've noticed whenever i go v-sync less no screen tear at all. In anything. Anyone know why that is? The encoding? I mean granted theirs about a 1ghz difference, between this and the old chip same amount of cores and hyper thread's. New architecture really improve that much over 5 years?

From what I could understand (lol, sorry) the inquiry you have is about the "big jump" you notice.

Well, the important story is told by the minimum FPS'es you said were gone, more than the average or max FPS you can see.

That 1Ghz difference over Nehalem it better be worth 20%+, since it's a ~30% clock increase not counting IPC gains. Your GPU is able to stretch it's leg more and it's showing with the minimum FPS (or smoother play).

Another point to know would be RAM. I know it's not usually a big factor, but if you can make a comparison on timings and actual speed, it would also be interesting to know. Maybe faster RAM would help you get more performance out if the timings are worse than with your previous build. More than BW, games like tight timings. Not earth shattering, but work between 1% and 5% increase depending on the game: the Ego engine (think GRID and F1 series) loves fast RAM for example, but BF4 doesn't give a rat's bottom about it, haha.

Cheers!

logainofhades

Titan
Maybe next year, I will consider upgrading. A friend of mine is looking to get a PC upgrade cheap. Might cut him a deal on my hardware, to pay for most of it. My 3570k will be a massive upgrade from his old Phenom II 8xx.

Intel will begin to sell mainstream ‘Skylake’ CPUs in late September
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-will-begin-to-sell-mainstream-skylake-cpus-for-desktops-in-late-september/
Intel: Skipping ‘Broadwell’ CPUs for desktops was a mistake
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-skipping-broadwell-processors-for-desktops-was-a-mistake/

Intel Launching 18 New Desktop Skylake-S CPUs In Two Weeks - Including Core i7, Core i5, Core i3 And Pentium SKUs
http://wccftech.com/full-intel-desktop-skylakes-cpu-lineup-2-weeks-includes-core-i7-core-i5-core-i3-pentium-skus/
Intel Mesa Developers Working To Expose 16x MSAA For Skylake
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Skylake-16x-MSAA
Launch schedule of Intel Xeon processors
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2015/2015091601_Launch_schedule_of_Intel_Xeon_processors.html
DDR3 vs. DDR4: Raw bandwidth by the numbers
http://www.techspot.com/news/62129-ddr3-vs-ddr4-raw-bandwidth-numbers.html

@XxD34THxX: yep, the i7 5820k is relatively cheap compared to other -e processors, and it's got 6 cores. skylake hexcores will be preceded by broadwell-e hexcores, though - according to the latest rumors (so, +NaCl).

Status
Not open for further replies.