[SOLVED] Internal SATA HDD disconnects randomly, can reconnect/rediscover in Windows 7 (Passes SMART + checkdisk)

Jan 14, 2020
New AMD B450M build, have an SSD with my OS (W7 Pro) and this strange 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HD for data. The drive will disconnect intermittently, though it has never disconnected while transferring large files or while running a checkdisk or SMART test (Passes both of those 100%). However, I'll be using the PC, not even always accessing files I have on the seagate, and the drive will disappear from windows entirely.

I've tried a few troubleshooting steps in addition to those tests, checked the power settings through control panel to ensure its not being put to sleep, checked integrity of the power and SATA connection, ensured it appeared normally on boot in BIOS, changed the drive letter, the list goes on.

I ran my SMART test via. the SeaTools for Windows program offered by Seagate and have realized that when I start ST up, and it checks for all devices, it will detect the Seagate and it will ask to fix the drive (prompting another checkdisk) or to continue. When I continue, it allows me to explore the drive as if it were removable storage, and the drive reappears in Windows and functions as normal. So far typing this out, the drive has disconnected once more, and was again fixed via the same method.

My question is how to avoid this disconnect happening in the first place? The drive is formatted as exFAT as opposed to NTSC, could this be an issue? I have, though, connected USB drives to the PC and they have not had the same issue of disappearing.

Solution
update the BIOS of the motherboard

replace the SATA data cable and check with a different sata power cable of the power supply

maybe the HDD has a power issue, either the circuit board or the connection to power or data

could be an issue with chipset/sata drivers for Windows 7

check with Ubuntu live or similar to have a look if it happens there too
update the BIOS of the motherboard

replace the SATA data cable and check with a different sata power cable of the power supply

maybe the HDD has a power issue, either the circuit board or the connection to power or data

could be an issue with chipset/sata drivers for Windows 7

check with Ubuntu live or similar to have a look if it happens there too

Solution
Jan 14, 2020
Attempted updating WIN 7 SATA drivers and confirming mobo BIOS version, all checks out.

Tried a different SATA power cable and seems to be consistently staying connected now. Considering searching for additional drivers/utilities as sometimes this build stalls on VGA section of boot. Although that could be a PSU issue as well. Gotta love it.

Thanks!

Reactions: helpstar