Jan 21, 2023
I recently installed a new SSD (Seagate BarraCuda 2TB) and PSU (MSI MPG A1000G). On my SSD, I am dual booting Ubuntu and Windows. At the beginning everything was running perfectly fine, but then all of a sudden after about 2 weeks or so my computer has drastically slowed down. I took at look and noticed that the performance in task manager for my Disk was at 100% constantly. I then booted from my old HDD which still had windows on it, and noticed that that was running super slow too and was also constantly at 100%. I then tried booting from an external hard drive, and noticed that that was working perfectly fine, no performance issues at all.

Can anyone help me resolve the issue? I am wondering if it could be something to do with my SATA cables, although it's strange that suddenly both of them are damaged at the same time. If not, perhaps something to do with my modular PSU although it was working perfectly fine at the beginning.

Here are my specs:
  • Intel® Core i7-9700K
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • 16GB RAM
  • PSU - MSI MPG A1000G
  • Motherboard - MSI Z390-A PRO LGA1151

Jan 21, 2023
I recently installed a new SSD (Seagate BarraCuda 2TB) and PSU (MSI MPG A1000G). I moved everything from my old HDD to my new SSD. On my SSD, I am dual booting Ubuntu and Windows.
At the beginning everything was running perfectly fine, but then all of a sudden after about 2 weeks or so my computer has drastically slowed down. I took at look and noticed that the performance in task manager for my Disk was at 100% constantly. Both the Windows partition and Ubuntu partition are running super slow.
I then booted from my old HDD which still had windows on it, and noticed that that was running super slow too and was also constantly at 100%.
I then tried booting from an external hard drive, and noticed that that was working perfectly fine, no performance issues at all.

I have updated my BIOS, and defragged my SSD and still no success.
Can anyone help me resolve the issue? I am wondering if it could be something to do with my SATA cables, although it's strange that suddenly both of them are damaged at the same time. If not, perhaps something to do with my modular PSU although it was working perfectly fine at the beginning.
EDIT: If I just leave my PC alone for a while, the usage goes back down to 0% or is relatively low, but once I start doing stuff like opening tabs or chrome it goes back up to 100.

Here are my specs:
  • Intel® Core i7-9700K
  • 32GB RAM
  • PSU - MSI MPG A1000G

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023
The SSD uses very little power so I don't think that the PSU is at fault.

You should check your SATA connector/cable...

Is there any SATA setting in the Bios that need to verify?
I have tried 2 different SATA cables for the new SSD, one of which is brand new.
As for the BIOS, I'm not sure, however it was working perfectly fine originally and then suddenly the performance nose dived.

Jan 21, 2023
I recently installed a new SSD and used Partition Wizard to move everything over from my old HDD to my new SSD. I then stopped using my HDD and everything was working completely fine. Then suddenly, after about a week or so, my SSD became super slow seemingly out of nowhere.
Firstly my PC is glacially slow just to boot, and then when I look in the task manager at the performance, it's at 100% for Disk. The main culprits seem to be System, MalwareBytes, Razer Synapse, and Discord. After some time, if I just leave it be, it comes back down again. But once I start opening chrome or file explorer it start to climb back up to 100 and becomes unusable.

I then removed my SSD and tried booting from my old HDD, and noticed that pretty much the same thing happened to that too for whatever reason. I've tried using multiple SATA cables for each Disk, one old and one new, but the results are the same.
I used CrystalDiskInfo to see the state to pull SMART data and here are the results.

I also tried booting Ubuntu from an external SSD connected by USB and that was working perfectly fine.
I'm really at a loss and have been stuck on this issue for a few days now and am pretty much at my wit's end. I've tried Optomizing my HD, updating Windows, updating my BIOS, updating Drivers, tried using different cables, and still no luck. I created a partition on the SSD and installed Ubuntu there, and that too was suffering from performance issues.

One thing I should note too is that my SSD was listed has a HDD when I was looking at the menu for optimization.

p_e

Jan 29, 2023
I recently installed a new SSD (Seagate BarraCuda 2TB) and PSU (MSI MPG A1000G). On my SSD, I am dual booting Ubuntu and Windows. At the beginning everything was running perfectly fine, but then all of a sudden after about 2 weeks or so my computer has drastically slowed down. I took at look and noticed that the performance in task manager for my Disk was at 100% constantly. I then booted from my old HDD which still had windows on it, and noticed that that was running super slow too and was also constantly at 100%. I then tried booting from an external hard drive, and noticed that that was working perfectly fine, no performance issues at all.

Here are my specs:
  • Intel® Core i7-9700K
  • 16GB RAM
  • PSU - MSI MPG A1000G

Read Error rate & Seek Error Rate
Both indicate that the drive having troubble reading date (but apparently able to retry and read it), It can be a sign the drive is about to die.
..MAKE A BACKUP ASAP

in case ur familliar working with elctronics, sometimes its a failure in connection between drive MB and the physical drive, which is fixable, its possible resolder or replate the connecton grid on the drive MB.
Ive also seen drives wit 'cold solderings' on the connector port that when reseated works fine. in any case DO A BACKUP!