Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I'm not sure this is the right place but it seemed to be the best I can find.

After installing the latest updates from Microsoft on Thursday I lost the ability to reach the web from IE and Firefox. I am using the latest versions of each. I can sting ping every site I have tried and I can use file sharing and print to my network printer. I just can't get to any websites. I can't even see my router's home page on the local network at http://192.168.2.1. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

I am running Zone Alarm Pro for a firewall and everything there looks just fine. I can't find anything strange with the IE settings either.

I have tried to use system restore but it wont restore to before the latest set of updates. It doesn't tell me why it can't it just does its thing and then tells me it was unable to restore to that point and no changes have been made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any problem with people suggesting things I have already done, especially if they are detailed enough for me to see if it may be just that little bit different from what I have tried.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
When firefox can't open websites I usually reset my router, and repair my network connection and that does the trick all the time for me, but I don't know if your problem is similar to mine.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried all of the above (both before and again after your post) but no luck. It seams that firefox and IE cannot see the connection to the internet but everything else can.

As I mentioned pings work, my AV can update itself, Zone Alarm notifies me of an update but it can't download it because it uses an IE window.

jeevkap

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Hi there, Try disable Zone alram ,release IP then renew IP ,if it's connected to router, unplug the power for the router leave it or 30 sec then plug it back, do the same for the dls or cable modem...make sure you the Firewall disable(Zone Alram) let me know if this fix.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I have tried all of those but not all together. I will try that a bit later when I have a chance.

Do you think that the router could really be an issue if I can use everything fine from other computers and other software can use the Internet. I am only having trouble with IE and Firefox (I can't use http and HTML basically, other programs are doing fine).