Question Internet issues when gaming

BoBadas

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2015
I have a good internet provider with a fiber ethernet setup. Its very fast and im very pleased with it. But it seems like my computer is messing with my internet.

So the problem occurs when playing Multiplayer online games. The two games i refer to here being League and Overwatch. Both very competitive games, when i play these games around once every hour or so my internet for these games will disconnect for a split second which puts me back in the main menu for both of theese games. I can connect right back and i know that the issue does not lie within my internet because i can still talk to my friends on discord while this all is happening.

I've already tried updating my network adapters drivers and when i i use a website such as
https://ping.canbeuseful.com/en#ping
my ping sometimes spikes to to 300 which is i guess the times that theese 2 games will disconnect me.
View: https://imgur.com/a/4RAasWO
(ping spike)

I know its something with my computer most likely because my GF is playing games on the same internet without issues (we both have ethernet connetions ofc) and she isnt experienceng theese problems.
we also recently moved places but we still have the same internet provider and package but i had the same problem in our old house.

If anyone can help me with this i will be eternally gratefull as this has been bugging me for about 6 months now and i have absolutely no clue what is going on here.
P.S I have built my own pc and i have built my last 3 pcs myself. None of the earlier pcs had this problem.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
So back when I used to play games on battle.net, I had this same problem. You have to mess with the battle.net network settings. This was 2 to 3 years ago now, so I can't remember exactly what the fix was for me, but I do remember it was somewhere there. Check to see what the server preference is, if there are any limits set, if downloads/updates are allowed during gameplay, etc. If you can't find the fix via trial and error, I would contact Blizzard support at that point.

As a side note, I would also make sure other programs that can auto-download or check for downloads are closed, and that your network adapter is not set to auto-switch between 2.4 and 5 ghz (if you use wifi), as this can cause some issues.