[SOLVED] Internet issues with a hardwired connection on desktop but not with wifi

Dec 23, 2020
I've been having an issue with my pc lately where downloads on steam will max out at ~200kbps and loading webpages takes forever if they even load at all.
This issue has only been affecting my pc when it is hardwired, and doesn't effect any other device on the network for the most part. I have noticed that there are times on other devices that speeds will slow down significantly but it is sporadic.

Speed tests on my pc show I get around 290mbps and packetloss tests show no issues.
I did have comcast come out and work out what I thought might be an issue, but its persisted since then obviously. I unplugged my pc from the outlet for about an hour and that seemed to help but I have no idea why.
If anyone has some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
If it is just web pages that tends to be a DNS issue. First I would scan for malware to be sure there is nothing attempting to hijack the DNS.

I would then manually change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in the IPv4 settings on your computer. While you are in there I would disable IPv6 support. IPv6 seems to have issues for a lot of people and if it uses IPv4 for some sites and ipv6 for others you get very inconsistent testing.
This is very strange because speedtest is actually a file download that is not saved. If it was just web pages we could consider DNS issues but because you say steam is also slow then that makes it something different.

What happens if you download a windows 10 image or other very large file from microsoft. Watch the resource monitor network tab to see the rates. Is this also as slow as steam.

What you have to determine is what is different about speedtest. It is not likely the more common hardware or driver issues because those too would affect speedtest.

Do you have any of that so called "gamer" network software installed. The ones with killer ethernet tend to be the most troublesome but there are a couple others that have some form of QoS installed in the pc to in theory improve game response.

Reactions: SamirD
Dec 23, 2020
This is very strange because speedtest is actually a file download that is not saved. If it was just web pages we could consider DNS issues but because you say steam is also slow then that makes it something different.

What happens if you download a windows 10 image or other very large file from microsoft. Watch the resource monitor network tab to see the rates. Is this also as slow as steam.

What you have to determine is what is different about speedtest. It is not likely the more common hardware or driver issues because those too would affect speedtest.

Do you have any of that so called "gamer" network software installed. The ones with killer ethernet tend to be the most troublesome but there are a couple others that have some form of QoS installed in the pc to in theory improve game response.

The downloads I just tried capped at 51MB/s steady, however webpages still wont load. So there are inconsistencies in download speeds, but the common issue is the problem loading a webpage. I tried hardwiring the ethernet to my roommates pc and it seemed to work fine with both downloads and on the web so I assume its an issue with my computer specifically. If I had to guess I would think its an issue with either drivers, or a physical issue with the motherboard itself. Im not sure how to figure it out though.

If it is just web pages that tends to be a DNS issue. First I would scan for malware to be sure there is nothing attempting to hijack the DNS.

I would then manually change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 in the IPv4 settings on your computer. While you are in there I would disable IPv6 support. IPv6 seems to have issues for a lot of people and if it uses IPv4 for some sites and ipv6 for others you get very inconsistent testing.

Solution
It sounds like it's a software issue specific to that system. To confirm this and rule anything else out, boot up a linux live cd/usb and use the browser there and see if everything works fine. If it does, you indeed have some sort of software issue within windows.