Internet Troll Gets Tracked Down, Confronted in Real Life

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I think he has a right to free speech, but at the same time, if I have to listen to (or read) it, then I deserve to know where it is coming from. That is where I believe privacy should end. Same goes for telemarketers and their ability to use "unknown" or "blocked" from caller id.

danjimaru

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
[citation][nom]gokanis[/nom]Here in the USA everybody on the left calls you out, shouts you down and makes you say I'm an a$$hat, sorry.What this butthead troll deserves is one person from each race, visiting his house with soap bars wrapped in towels, a good beating like we used to do in the military to a screwup. Now those are consequences.[/citation]
Yeah, just in time for proposing a resolution based on physical aggression, bro!! Why does THAT not surpise me? France is no good example either. Try a country who didn't lock up bums and demented in the same assylum to keep them of the streets and behind bars.... ever heard of Michel Foucault?

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]gokanis[/nom]Yes, he can say what he wants, but there will be consequences.[/citation]

Well in America there would be no consequences. As for trolling, in some states online harassment is illegal.

I still believe ignoring does get these love starved juvenile delinquents a little more attention then they're actually worth.... Even ignoring them takes a little effort... and they're really not worth it....

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]i like trolls and think they are funny... seriously if u are offended by some random fat guy on the internet, u are way too sensative[/citation]

EXACTLY! Why do people get their panties in a twist over words?

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]jl0329[/nom]Not the typical reaction I imagined a troll would have when exposed in real life. If they host a show about hunting internet trolls, I'd definitely watch it.[/citation]
So, you came here to troll a 13 year old girl? why dont you have a seat.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]JDW_SWB[/nom]It is, making racist comments is an illegal act.[/citation]

It is only illegal if the comment is meant to be physically threatening. Then the comments would be considered a verbal assault, not a hate crime.

danjimaru

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
"The worst racist expression ever..... great person" Infact one of my favourite lines in cinema is in 'Dolemite' when the crackhead tries to score a hotdog and the saleswoman looks at him and goes "dear friend please!". NEGRO the word it derrives from is spanish for the color black without the racial conotation. Just weird that there's still some people who take offence in this and even weirder is the fact that between two blacks the word "great person" has no racial context. As a Jew I object to all the idiots who made Michael Jackson change the line "Jew me" from his song too. People are just too sensitive about this. Not so surprising: BBC journalism inflating it to the point of becomming ridiculous.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]Anyone heard of freedom of speech? Anyone who things this guy shouldn't be allowed to say what he wants has a mental problem.[/citation]
...and I'm so sure you will be the first one to reiterate this feeling when nasty racist comments are posted on a page dedicated to the memory of your own murdered child or spouse...

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]danjimaru[/nom]I'm a jew, I know what exclusion from society leads to; alienation and more hatred. Scrutinizing anyone for their beliefs and disfunctions as anti social as they may be is not going to help society as a whole, it may keep my children safe but at the expense of someone else's kid that isn't an option.[/citation]

Just curious, what do you mean "at the expense of someone else's kid?"

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]...and I'm so sure you will be the first one to reiterate this feeling when nasty racist comments are posted on a page dedicated to the memory of your own murdered child or spouse...[/citation]

Absolutely! I would give my life to defend that persons right from oppression.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]Just curious, what do you mean "at the expense of someone else's kid?"[/citation]

Society as a whole is never more important than people rights. If you think that way then you are an oppressor just like Stalin or Hitler.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]...and I'm so sure you will be the first one to reiterate this feeling when nasty racist comments are posted on a page dedicated to the memory of your own murdered child or spouse...[/citation]
If someone makes a page like that on an open site where open comments are allowed, that is their own fault. We all know that there is more than likely going to be some troll who wants to stir up trouble.

The internet is like real life, bullies everywhere. And yes, trolling and bullying was started in real life thousands of years before there was ever electricity to make an internet possible.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]Absolutely! I would give my life to defend that persons right from oppression.[/citation]

Yes, he has the right to say that stuff just like the BBC has the right to track him down and publicly expose him.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]Society as a whole is never more important than people rights. If you think that way then you are an oppressor just like Stalin or Hitler.[/citation]

How is the Sex Offenders list and parents' rights to know about the location of known sex offenders violating the rights of "someone else's kid?" This still isn't clear.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]How is the Sex Offenders list and parents' rights to know about the location of known sex offenders violating the rights of "someone else's kid?" This still isn't clear.[/citation]

Parents don't have a right to know anything about a sex offender. Do you even know what peoples rights are? The government can't give you a right. You are born with it.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]Parents don't have a right to know anything about a sex offender. Do you even know what peoples rights are? The government can't give you a right. You are born with it.[/citation]

It sounds like you oppose any sort of law enforcement when any kind of crime is committed. Are you saying that the current law that require sex offenders to register on the Sex Offender list violates that sex offender's rights?

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]Yes, he has the right to say that stuff just like the BBC has the right to track him down and publicly expose him.[/citation]

Absolutely they have the right to track him down. I was saying that it is uncalled for that people are threatening violence against someone who speaks their thoughts that are offensive.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]It sounds like you oppose any sort of law enforcement when any kind of crime is committed. Are you saying that the current law that require sex offenders to register on the Sex Offender list violates that sex offender's rights?[/citation]

I am very much against the sex offender registry laws. If the person is a danger to society then they should be locked up. If they have served their time and are no longer a threat then they shouldn't be on a list. The registry implies that they know the person is still a threat.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]Absolutely they have the right to track him down. I was saying that it is uncalled for that people are threatening violence against someone who speaks their thoughts that are offensive.[/citation]

I agree. But I have to disagree that society should never trump someone's rights. I guess we'd have to agree on what these "rights" are, but the whole point of society is the willing surrendering of certain "freedoms" for the greater good. Such as, if I commit a sexual crime against a minor, I surrender my personal privacy about that matter. It's called a deterrent.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]How is the Sex Offenders list and parents' rights to know about the location of known sex offenders violating the rights of "someone else's kid?" This still isn't clear.[/citation]
What is your point? Racism is thought. It becomes something else when acted upon. A sex offender has actually committed a crime. As a result, he has forfited his rights, much as other types of criminals forfeit their rights.

As despicable and deplorable racism is, I am actually more frightened of this type of thinking of going after people simply based on what they think or say. Those are the types of people that lead to facism and dictatorships where freedoms don't exist.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]What is your point? Racism is thought. It becomes something else when acted upon. A sex offender has actually committed a crime. As a result, he has forfited his rights, much as other types of criminals forfeit their rights.As despicable and deplorable racism is, I am actually more frightened of this type of thinking of going after people simply based on what they think or say. Those are the types of people that lead to facism and dictatorships where freedoms don't exist.[/citation]

I think we're on the same page, wildkitten. I'm in favor of the Sex Offender Registry. I was trying to get some clarification on someone else who disagreed, saying something about it infringing upon the rights of "someone else's kid." I just didn't understand what that meant.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]ringzero[/nom]I agree. But I have to disagree that society should never trump someone's rights. I guess we'd have to agree on what these "rights" are, but the whole point of society is the willing surrendering of certain "freedoms" for the greater good. Such as, if I commit a sexual crime against a minor, I surrender my personal privacy about that matter. It's called a deterrent.[/citation]

I would say that your rights never extend to physically hurting another person. Doing so would violate their rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.