IP4000 - impressed so far.

I've just got the Canon IP4000.
I mainly got it fo CD printing.
I have to admi after printing a couple of CD's, I'm really impressed.
I just wanted to know... on average... with full tanks of ink...
How many full coverage colour CD's can I print?
(For arguements sake... let's assume an overall use of each ink tank
being the same.)

Or is the above like asking how long a piece of string is? : )

Any feedback would be appreciated.

ALSO... for the printer it's brilliant that you have 2 inputs to feed
paper in.
That's really usefull for having one tray be for envelopes.

Happy so far. : )

Thanks.

OM

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:56:31 -0800, OM wrote
(in article <98c2de6d.0503100256.40e43298@posting.google.com>):

> I've just got the Canon IP4000.
> I mainly got it fo CD printing.
> I have to admi after printing a couple of CD's, I'm really impressed.
> I just wanted to know... on average... with full tanks of ink...
> How many full coverage colour CD's can I print?
> (For arguements sake... let's assume an overall use of each ink tank
> being the same.)

I've got an iP3000, which has the same mechanicals, but only a 4-color head.

I've looked in the manual (the manual covers both models), and don't see any
CD printing listed.

How do you do this? I'd like to try it. Where do you feed the CD's, through
the duplex slot in the back? It seems registration (alignment) might be an
issue. Can I use any CD? Which brand do you use? Can I print double-sided?

(That last one was a joke... : -)

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

BTW, I'm really happy with the iP3000. Like you said, many features for so
little $$. Quality output (for my eyes) for a 4-color printer. Looking into
3rd party inks to help keep costs low.

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

I was impressed with my S9000 as well, until some time passed,
not much really. And now I less impressed with anything what
comes from Canon and uses BCI-6 inks. Everybody should be as
well.

http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fading

OM wrote:

> I've just got the Canon IP4000.
> I mainly got it fo CD printing.
> I have to admi after printing a couple of CD's, I'm really impressed.
> I just wanted to know... on average... with full tanks of ink...
> How many full coverage colour CD's can I print?
> (For arguements sake... let's assume an overall use of each ink tank
> being the same.)
>
> Or is the above like asking how long a piece of string is? : )
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> ALSO... for the printer it's brilliant that you have 2 inputs to feed
> paper in.
> That's really usefull for having one tray be for envelopes.
>
> Happy so far. : )

Sure. Be good!

Thomas

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just got the Canon IP4000.
> I mainly got it fo CD printing.
> I have to admi after printing a couple of CD's, I'm really impressed.
> I just wanted to know... on average... with full tanks of ink...
> How many full coverage colour CD's can I print?
> (For arguements sake... let's assume an overall use of each ink tank
> being the same.)
>
> Or is the above like asking how long a piece of string is? : )
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.

Heaps? I don't know - but from memory it was about 200 photos - so a lot
more CDs I would think.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <423031cb$0$27618$61c65585@un-2park-reader-
02.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>, caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com says...

> "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've just got the Canon IP4000.
> > I mainly got it fo CD printing.
> > I have to admi after printing a couple of CD's, I'm really impressed.
> > I just wanted to know... on average... with full tanks of ink...
> > How many full coverage colour CD's can I print?
> > (For arguements sake... let's assume an overall use of each ink tank
> > being the same.)
> >
> > Or is the above like asking how long a piece of string is? : )
> >
> > Any feedback would be appreciated.
> >

> Heaps? I don't know - but from memory it was about 200 photos - so a lot
> more CDs I would think.

My ip4000 did about 125 photos, about a 50/50 mix of 5x7 and 8x10 on the
highest quality setting/glossy photo pro before running out of LT-Magenta.
The rest of the carts were at 1/2 or less at that point.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"ThomasH" <henrymot@coco.net> wrote in message
>I was impressed with my S9000 as well, until some time passed,
> not much really. And now I less impressed with anything what
> comes from Canon and uses BCI-6 inks. Everybody should be as
> well.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fading

Or maybe they should just be more aware than you or the writer of the
article (if not also you) in environmental effects on image longevity.

Q1. What is a major factor in quality degradation?
A1. Ozone

Q2. What is a major producer of ozone in the average home?
A2. Refrigerator compressors

Can't for the life of me figure out why hanging a photo on a fridge 'may'
impact its longevity!

> Larrywrote:

> My ip4000 did about 125 photos, about a 50/50 mix of 5x7 and 8x10 on
the
> highest quality setting/glossy photo pro before running out of
LT-Magenta.
> The rest of the carts were at 1/2 or less at that point.
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

OM - Based on Larry's figures, a quick bit of maths suggests you
should get about 434 CD's from a set of carts.

In article Larry says...
> My ip4000 did about 125 photos, about a 50/50 mix of 5x7 and 8x10 on the
> highest quality setting/glossy photo pro before running out of LT-Magenta.
> The rest of the carts were at 1/2 or less at that point.

Just to be picky the iP4000 uses Magenta BCI6M not Photo(light)Magenta
BCI6PM

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <MPG.1c9b667a1dcb50b39898dd@news.xtra.co.nz>,
colincomma@yawhoo.com says...
> In article Larry says...
> > My ip4000 did about 125 photos, about a 50/50 mix of 5x7 and 8x10 on the
> > highest quality setting/glossy photo pro before running out of LT-Magenta.
> > The rest of the carts were at 1/2 or less at that point.
> >
> Just to be picky the iP4000 uses Magenta BCI6M not Photo(light)Magenta
> BCI6PM

Sorry 'bout that, I misstyped it.

Kinda hard to fit a LT-MAG cart into it....

<G>

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In article Larry says...
> In article <MPG.1c9b667a1dcb50b39898dd@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> colincomma@yawhoo.com says...
> > In article Larry says...
> > > My ip4000 did about 125 photos, about a 50/50 mix of 5x7 and 8x10 on the
> > > highest quality setting/glossy photo pro before running out of LT-Magenta.
> > > The rest of the carts were at 1/2 or less at that point.
> > >
> > Just to be picky the iP4000 uses Magenta BCI6M not Photo(light)Magenta
> > BCI6PM
> >

> Sorry 'bout that, I misstyped it.
>
> Kinda hard to fit a LT-MAG cart into it....
>
> <G>

There have been a few posts by people that have mistakenly bought the
wrong cart, switched M/PM or C/PC and got strange colours until they
figured out what was wrong.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <MPG.1c9b7796e5e673f99898de@news.xtra.co.nz>,
colincomma@yawhoo.com says...
> In article Larry says...
> > In article <MPG.1c9b667a1dcb50b39898dd@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> > colincomma@yawhoo.com says...
> > > In article Larry says...
> > > >
> > > Just to be picky the iP4000 uses Magenta BCI6M not Photo(light)Magenta
> > > BCI6PM
> > >

> > Sorry 'bout that, I misstyped it.
> >
> > Kinda hard to fit a LT-MAG cart into it....
> >
> > <G>
> >

> There have been a few posts by people that have mistakenly bought the
> wrong cart, switched M/PM or C/PC and got strange colours until they
> figured out what was wrong.

I haven't bought the wrong cart yet (hard to do as I have 2 i960s and an
i950) but I have come close to putting in the wrong one.. Havent done it yet,
but I've had it all the way to the printer before I caught it.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"DaveC" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> BTW, I'm really happy with the iP3000. Like you said, many features for so
> little $$. Quality output (for my eyes) for a 4-color printer. Looking
> into
> 3rd party inks to help keep costs low.
> --
> Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
> ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.

If you are in North America your printer doesn't have this feature. Though
Go Google it would have been a good answer as well as it's been mentioned in
this group about 20 times already in the last month!!

"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "DaveC" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> BTW, I'm really happy with the iP3000. Like you said, many features for
>> so
>> little $$. Quality output (for my eyes) for a 4-color printer. Looking
>> into
>> 3rd party inks to help keep costs low.
>> --
>> Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
>> ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.
>>

> If you are in North America your printer doesn't have this feature. Though
> Go Google it would have been a good answer as well as it's been mentioned
> in this group about 20 times already in the last month!!

That should have been in reply to your previous post:

> I've got an iP3000, which has the same mechanicals, but only a 4-color
> head.
>

> I've looked in the manual (the manual covers both models), and don't see
> any CD printing listed.
> How do you do this? I'd like to try it. Where do you feed the CD's,
> through the duplex slot in the back? It seems registration (alignment)
> might be an issue. Can I use any CD? Which brand do you use? Can I print
> double-sided?
> (That last one was a joke... : -)
> Thanks,

In article ThomasH says...
> I was impressed with my S9000 as well, until some time passed,
> not much really. And now I less impressed with anything what
> comes from Canon and uses BCI-6 inks. Everybody should be as
> well.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fading

Did your frame have glass in it? Or was the print subject to cooking
steam etc?

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> "ThomasH" <henrymot@coco.net> wrote in message
>>I was impressed with my S9000 as well, until some time passed,
>> not much really. And now I less impressed with anything what
>> comes from Canon and uses BCI-6 inks. Everybody should be as
>> well.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fading
>>

> Or maybe they should just be more aware than you or the writer of the
> article (if not also you) in environmental effects on image longevity.
>
> Q1. What is a major factor in quality degradation?
> A1. Ozone
>
> Q2. What is a major producer of ozone in the average home?
> A2. Refrigerator compressors
>
> Can't for the life of me figure out why hanging a photo on a fridge 'may'
> impact its longevity!

But it impacts on some much more than others - Pigment inks will last much
longer.

Caitlin wrote:

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "ThomasH" <henrymot@coco.net> wrote in message
> >>I was impressed with my S9000 as well, until some time passed,
> >> not much really. And now I less impressed with anything what
> >> comes from Canon and uses BCI-6 inks. Everybody should be as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fading
> >>
> > Or maybe they should just be more aware than you or the writer of the
> > article (if not also you) in environmental effects on image longevity.
> >
> > Q1. What is a major factor in quality degradation?
> > A1. Ozone
> >
> > Q2. What is a major producer of ozone in the average home?
> > A2. Refrigerator compressors
> >
> > Can't for the life of me figure out why hanging a photo on a fridge 'may'
> > impact its longevity!
> >
> But it impacts on some much more than others - Pigment inks will last much
> longer.

Wilhelm performs such tests as well and compares longevity of
images exposed to air in conditions comparable to our real
living conditions. See his web page for some details, they
call it Bare Bulb test. It usually cuts the expectancy in half.
Thus I would expect Canon Photo Paper Pro to survive 14 years
in such conditions without a problem.

In case of Canon paper and ink the amazing fact is that the
expensive glossy paper fades so fast, not the porous matte
paper. I have images hanging on the same place printed on
the Matte Photo Paper and even on the thin "High Resolution
Paper" and they show some fading, but its not significant.

The Photo Paper Plus appears to be the troubled product. We
have collected back meanwhile approx. 20 images which we have
printed from different people showing partly a significant
level of fading.

Last but not least: Please feel free to dismiss the warning
and go forth, take the Canon. I have of course no objection.
People did, people do and people will do.

Is it wise? No, it is not. You will safe yourself possible
later disappointment if you would opt for a printer using
pigment inks, made by someone who is not afraid to appear
on Wilhelms tests! Try to find Canon on these pages. They
are amiss for a reason.

Thomas

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:57:00 -0800, ThomasH <henrymot@coco.net> wrote:

>Caitlin wrote:

[much snipping here]

>Is it wise? No, it is not. You will safe yourself possible
>later disappointment if you would opt for a [Canon] printer using
>pigment inks, made by someone who is not afraid to appear
>on Wilhelms tests! Try to find Canon on these pages. They
>are amiss for a reason.
>
>Thomas

Thomas and everyone else:

Does anyone sell pigment inks for Canon photo printers?

Putting pigmented inks in a Canon printer is like putting diesel fuel in
a gasoline engine.

You can make your Canon prints last longer by keeping them in an Album
or behind glass in a frame or by spraying a coating on them. Laminating
works also. You can always reprint at any time.

The exception is for professional photographers who sell their prints.
They might want to consider Epson with their pigmented inks using OEM
inks and high quality paper designed for the ink. They need better
longevity since the buyer is not able to reprint. The results are still
very good but not as vibrant and the colors are not as rich.

"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
in message news:b29a31p2ccl21bmf75acfito0kdrngo4g2@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:57:00 -0800, ThomasH <henrymot@coco.net> wrote:
>
>>Caitlin wrote:
>>>

> [much snipping here]
>
>>Is it wise? No, it is not. You will safe yourself possible
>>later disappointment if you would opt for a [Canon] printer using
>>pigment inks, made by someone who is not afraid to appear
>>on Wilhelms tests! Try to find Canon on these pages. They
>>are amiss for a reason.
>>
>>Thomas
>

> Thomas and everyone else:
>
> Does anyone sell pigment inks for Canon photo printers?

I don't think so - and mind your attribution!

Caitlin