[SOLVED] IPCam can connects to wifi, but router doesn't see it, so can't control via PC software (but I could before)

Spixe

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Hi guys, I've been scouring the internet for weeks looking for an answer, and still nothing, so I'm finally asking the pros.

I have IP Cams (Hik Vision and generics) that can connect to my WiFi (using an android app to initiate setup). Using one cam as an example, it gets assigned the IP 10.0.0.20 - I did not assign this, it must have been DHCP. I can view and control the cam via this same app.

However, my router (Netgear R8000P) does not detect this connection. In the list of attached devices, no such device is assigned this IP address. Other wired and wireless devices show up accurately.

From my computer command prompt, I was able to ping the IP, but I couldn't access it via web browser or IPCam software. (i.e. BlueIris, iVMS, CMS, SADPTool, MonitorClient).

A year ago, I had all these cams up running fine, with detected IP addresses, shown in router, and was able to manipulate them using IPCam PC software (mentioned above). I've reinstalled a new OS since then and haven't gotten around to setting them up again until now, and when I've attempted over the past weeks, I ran into this problem. I even bought a new IPCam just in case I screwed up the old ones somehow, but same story.

Any help, advice, comments, suggestions, anything, I'm open to trying. I really have to get my security system back up again. Thanks a ton.

Don't rely on the 'attached devices' list in your Netgear. Sometimes it takes forever for a device to appear in the list even if it's online and been communicating. (I have the R7900p)
Is the IP that it's receiving in your router's DHCP scope? Do you have any other devices that could be giving out DHCP? Maybe try a full reset and set up of the camera per mfg. instructions? Also, make sure there aren't any security settings in place that prevent wireless devices from communicating with the LAN (or vice versa).

Spixe

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Don't rely on the 'attached devices' list in your Netgear. Sometimes it takes forever for a device to appear in the list even if it's online and been communicating. (I have the R7900p)
Is the IP that it's receiving in your router's DHCP scope? Do you have any other devices that could be giving out DHCP? Maybe try a full reset and set up of the camera per mfg. instructions? Also, make sure there aren't any security settings in place that prevent wireless devices from communicating with the LAN (or vice versa).

Thanks for the reply.
Yep, the IP is receiving an IP address that is part of the local WAN/LAN IP scope.
I don't have any other routers here, it's just the one, and all other devices here use the same IP range.
I've reset the camera's multiple times, and even bought this new one because I thought maybe I "broke" the others somehow. The even reset the new one a dozen times in the same troubleshooting attempts.
Setting it up per manufacturers instructions is how it connected to my WiFi in the first place, but the instructions stop at that point, it doesn't go into getting the router/PC to recognize it.
No security settings are in place, as I have almost a dozen other wireless devices connecting to it with no problem. I even disabled the firewalls as an added troubleshooting step.
Still nothing. :(

Spixe

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Sorry it took me so long to respond. A lot has changed these weeks which have kept me away.

Anyway, I tried what you suggested, plugging it directly into my computer, and it did assign an IP address to the camera, but I wasn't able to connect to it in anyway. Even the app wouldn't connect.

I eventually unplugged it from the PC and plugged it back into the router. The camera was able to successfully connect to the android app again, but my computer could not connected to the IP address, nor did my cam software find it.

Basically back to square one. Might you have any other suggestions? Before I toss all my cams off my 5th story balcony! 😓