Question iPhone Backup on PC

VicenteMMOS

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
Hello, everyone!

I'm trying to execute a backup of my old iPhone into my pc, through iTunes (apparently, I can't just enter the DCIM folder in my phone, Ctrl+C Ctrl+V the folder into my disk, I don't know why... that would save me a lot of trouble). But the iTunes backup turns out to be written in what it seems to be some sort of crypt format I don't know what to do with... I could try and guess and manually change every file extension, but that would just make me look dumb in my own eyes and I refuse to do it for thousands of pictures and videos, one by one. I just want to store my photos and videos somewhere else, so I can reset my old phone and give it away. Can anyone help me please? I would upload a screenshot of the folder, but somehow I can't paste the link to the photo here... I don't know how to do it. Please, help!

Thank you.

Hello, everyone!

I'm trying to execute a backup of my old iPhone into my pc, through iTunes (apparently, I can't just enter the DCIM folder in my phone, Ctrl+C Ctrl+V the folder into my disk, I don't know why... that would save me a lot of trouble). But the iTunes backup turns out to be written in what it seems to be some sort of crypt format I don't know what to do with... I could try and guess and manually change every file extension, but that would just make me look dumb in my own eyes and I refuse to do it for thousands of pictures and videos, one by one. I just want to store my photos and videos somewhere else, so I can reset my old phone and give it away. Can anyone help me please? I would upload a screenshot of the folder, but somehow I can't paste the link to the photo here... I don't know how to do it. Please, help!

Thank you.
Changing file extension does't change the file or makes it compatible.

VicenteMMOS

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
Changing file extension does't change the file or makes it compatible.
Well, when I had for example a video file, I'd see something like 0af1dcd7f9b263aec331f749b1e37f4b620573bc with a file size of 116 MB which hints to me that it's a video, I'd then rename it to 0af1dcd7f9b263aec331f749b1e37f4b620573bc.mov, and so I would be able to see the video through Windows Film & TV app. That's what I meant to say, all files have no file extension, and I want to avoid having to give them extensions one by one.

Well, when I had for example a video file, I'd see something like 0af1dcd7f9b263aec331f749b1e37f4b620573bc with a file size of 116 MB which hints to me that it's a video, I'd then rename it to 0af1dcd7f9b263aec331f749b1e37f4b620573bc.mov, and so I would be able to see the video through Windows Film & TV app. That's what I meant to say, all files have no file extension, and I want to avoid having to give them extensions one by one.
Again. jist changing or adding file extension doesn't change file type or makes it usable. It has to be extension for exact file type. if that file is usable with .mov extension that its quite likely to be right type of file, that's Apple's format of Mpeg4.
MOV is a video format that was developed by Apple. It's an MPEG 4 video container file that is primarily used with Apple's QuickTime program. An MOV video can hold many different video formats and multimedia — audio, video, and text — in the same file on different tracks.
You could use a program like this to rename them all or just ad extension to all of them at once.

VicenteMMOS

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
Again. jist changing or adding file extension doesn't change file type or makes it usable. It has to be extension for exact file type. if that file is usable with .mov extension that its quite likely to be right type of file, that's Apple's format of Mpeg4.
MOV is a video format that was developed by Apple. It's an MPEG 4 video container file that is primarily used with Apple's QuickTime program. An MOV video can hold many different video formats and multimedia — audio, video, and text — in the same file on different tracks.
You could use a program like this to rename them all or just ad extension to all of them at once.
Thanks. So, even if I add all file extensions, I'd only be able to see them with an Apple software, or device, because they're not Windows compatible?