Question is a 460 watt Psu good enough for a rx 5700

Apr 17, 2024
So i am planning to upgrade my PC build by adding Said GPU but I have an LC-Power LC6460GP3 V2.3 230V 460 W 80+ Silver PSU and I'm not sure it will not burn up or something my current specs are
Mobo: Msi x58 Pro
Cpu: Intel i7 980x
Ram : 8 GB ddr3 2x4
Psu : LC-Power LC6460GP3
GPU: rx 550 2gb

I am upgrading as I just got a new 1440p 240hz monitor and all the games I play run at 120 fps max
(ps I will upgrade CPU and Mobo somewhere sown the line )
do you think its worth?

Solution
I think you guys are looking at the wrong PSUs. LC-Power here took the odd route of also having their Silver 80 Plus version of this with the same model name, differentiated only by the badge.

According to this, the 80 Plus Silver version is rated at 350W combined on the +12V rail.

That being said, the feeling about using this are certainly accurate. LC Power makes a lot of garbage and most of their PSUs should never be used, and this PSU is in that category. OP, using this PSU with a new GPU -- even temporarily -- would be a rather poor idea.

bignastyid

Titan
So i am planning to upgrade my PC build by adding Said GPU but I have an LC-Power LC6460GP3 V2.3 230V 460 W 80+ Silver PSU and I'm not sure it will not burn up or something my current specs are

I am upgrading as I just got a new 1440p 240hz monitor and all the games I play run at 120 fps max
do you think its worth?
The 12v output is rated for 228w total, so in reality its not even close to being a 460w PSU. Honestly surprised it's managing to run what you have now.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
The 12v output is rated for 228w total, so in reality its not even close to being a 460w PSU. Honestly surprised it's managing to run what you have now.

do you think its worth?

On that PSU I would not even try you'd just be introducing yourself to a firework show out the back of the pc.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think you guys are looking at the wrong PSUs. LC-Power here took the odd route of also having their Silver 80 Plus version of this with the same model name, differentiated only by the badge.

According to this, the 80 Plus Silver version is rated at 350W combined on the +12V rail.

That being said, the feeling about using this are certainly accurate. LC Power makes a lot of garbage and most of their PSUs should never be used, and this PSU is in that category. OP, using this PSU with a new GPU -- even temporarily -- would be a rather poor idea.

Solution
Apr 17, 2024

Alight thanks for the warning I'll upgrade the PSU with it