Is a 75hz monitor good for 1080p gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2018
Hello there,

First of all I'm sorry if this question was asked before but I couldn't find a answer to my question. I'm building a PC with the following configuration: Intel i5 7500, gtx 1060 6gb and 16gb DDR4 2400 RAM. I'll be playing AAA games at 1080p (high-ultra settings if possible).

My question is will a 60hz or 75hz (1980x1080) monitor be good enough for me? I've seen lot of gamers recommending to get a 144hz or 120hz monitor. Obviously I do want to have decent fps but I'm not really a hardcore gamer. My budget is limited (under 200) and there are quite few good reviewed 60 & 75hz (TN/IPS/LED) monitors available for me. 120/144hz are rare with that price. Should I get a 60/75hz or should I invest and get a 120/144hz monitor. Thanks

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Everyone's eyes are a bit different. Even if you had a faster video card, I don't think the threshold of the human eye really goes beyond 100 fps or thereabouts.

Honestly, I find that a smooth, steady experience is what counts, and assuming you're not doing uber-competitive gaming, 60-75 is just fine.

Also, I personally prefer IPS.

Given your GTX 1060, even the monitor you choose supports 75Hz, in some games you may want to lock that down at 60 with vsync on.

Feb 18, 2018

First of all my budget is limited and I was actually planning to get i5 8400 but when i saw i5 7500 is on sale for £100 I couldn't stop myself from buying it. I'll use the saving to get a decent size ssd now. Thanks

Feb 18, 2018

Thank you for clearing it out. I'll probably go with 75hz.

I'd have done same.

Gaming is a priority in this system and as such each component needs to cater to that and your needs. What will that SSD do for gaming? It will decrease load times significantly or it may pretty much eliminate them depending on the game. I have my library on a few drives. My problem is that I purchased an inexpensive 120SSD because it would eliminate some of the physical limitations a platter based drive has, one of which is speed. I didn't think my purchase through. My next SSD upgrade will be a 500GB or larger SSD so that it can handle more of my gaming library. Having to sit through 20 second or longer load times isn't something I enjoy and it does nothing good for the immersion factor. With some games needing 50GB or more of drive space, the 256GB SSD is starting to show its age. The 250GB Samsung 850 or 860 Evo is a good choice. The Samsung 850 EVO 500GB is my recommendation. I do understand the budget issue. I also know its gaming benefits so the extra $60 is worth it imho.

60Hz is fine; 144Hz, 120Hz, 100Hz, 75Hz, 60Hz, have them all, but I don't notice going to 60Hz as an issue when I do.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

I have one of those, and it's an excellent choice, I'm very happy with it.

Had the Crucial MX500 been out at the time, I might've gone that route, instead. It has a bigger write-durability warranty.

But, honestly, between the Crucial MX500 or the Samsung 850 EVO, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Feb 18, 2018

I totally get your point and that was the reason I was planning to go with i5 8400. But I'm not a hard core gamer. If I can play latest games on high-medium (which I'm assuming I can?) I'll be happy enough. I'll also be using some video/photo editing software which is why I plan to get an ssd for the OS & some programs/games. But you see, I'll actually be going over my budget because of the gpu & ram prices. :/

You'll be fine for medium to high with that setup @1080p. RAM prices and GPU prices are ridiculous right now; I've put off any upgrades in those ares for this year because of it. RAM probably due to more price fixing as Samsung/Hinix etc. have done in the past (and gotten fined); GPUs because of mining and Nvidia/AMD not being able to meet demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.