[SOLVED] Is "high performance NVIDIA processor" safe on laptop?

Feb 18, 2022
Hi! I play valorant on my laptop, sometimes to rarely have fps drop. I'm planning to download LOL and somehow pass the min. req. needed. I thought that if I would set high-performance NVIDIA processor in nvidia control panel would increase my fps and lessen the lag if I play valorant or LOL but I am worried about the heat and such and if so is it still ok to do that? My graphics card is GeForce MX250. I'm hoping for an answer that is a yes or no with a brief description please thank you.

Solution
No, it doesn't increase performance. It just forces the GPU to remain in its highest power state regardless of GPU load. So if the GPU load is already close to 100% most of the time anyway, setting the option to "High performance" won't change anything.

And even then, unless you do a power saving mode, nothing's really preventing the GPU from operating at 100% anyway. Aside from thermals

USAFRet

Titan
Hi! I play valorant on my laptop, sometimes to rarely have fps drop. I'm planning to download LOL and somehow pass the min. req. needed. I thought that if I would set high-performance NVIDIA processor in nvidia control panel would increase my fps and lessen the lag if I play valorant or LOL but I am worried about the heat and such and if so is it still ok to do that? My graphics card is GeForce MX250. I'm hoping for an answer that is a yes or no with a brief description please thank you.
So, you create and change whatever setting you desire.
Do whatever tasks you want...play the game.

Monitor the temps.

If too high, adjust as needed.

But if your hardware fails to meet the minimum reqs....this game may not be for you.

No, it doesn't increase performance. It just forces the GPU to remain in its highest power state regardless of GPU load. So if the GPU load is already close to 100% most of the time anyway, setting the option to "High performance" won't change anything.

And even then, unless you do a power saving mode, nothing's really preventing the GPU from operating at 100% anyway. Aside from thermals

Reactions: spentshells
Solution