[SOLVED] Is is possible to play GTA V or any huge game storing game data at one pc and playing that game from another pc?

Sep 27, 2020
[I even dont know either this question falls under networking but its somehow related]

So my situation is that, I have two computer one is very end pc with low storage and another low end computer but with 5 tb storage. And i already tried connecting two PC with ethernet cable which allowed me to play game from either computers but this worked for small sized games less than 500mb. But with same process i tried to play GTA V, CS:GO, etc storing data in low end computer and opening game from high end computer but it didn't work.

Therefore, i am here to ask you guys a question, "Is it possible to play games like gta or any huge games keeping the game data in one computer and opening the game from another computer like i tried to do as above??
If yes can you guys help me!!

Solution
There is really nothing stopping you from using the low end computer as a NAS in effect. It is a simple file share and you just put the game data on that. The game itself just sees a different driver letter it doesn't really know if it is a disk or ssd or some other storage on the network.
I know when I used to use multiple computers to play steam based games I could use the same copy of the game but have it save data for each play session in a different location, so one computer played locally and the other remote.

Now there is a difference between you being able to launch the game and it running smoothly. Many games already suffer from poor performance if they do not run on a SSD rather than even a local disk. So I will...
There is really nothing stopping you from using the low end computer as a NAS in effect. It is a simple file share and you just put the game data on that. The game itself just sees a different driver letter it doesn't really know if it is a disk or ssd or some other storage on the network.
I know when I used to use multiple computers to play steam based games I could use the same copy of the game but have it save data for each play session in a different location, so one computer played locally and the other remote.

Now there is a difference between you being able to launch the game and it running smoothly. Many games already suffer from poor performance if they do not run on a SSD rather than even a local disk. So I will assume you have 1gbit between the 2 computers. The network likely will not be the primary bottleneck. First it depends on how fast the 5tb driver actually is. Large drives tend to have poor performance compared to smaller ones. It gets very technical very fast with all the so called drive colors that represent how fast the meida is. The ones designed to save energy tend to be much less performance but the also cost much less money.

Having a very slow drive mounted via the network will not be a lot different than having that very slow drive mounted internally. There is going to be some added overhead for the network but in many cases it is not the network itself that is causing the problems.

This is a rather over simplified answer. For details you are going to have to get into all the nasty read and write rate calculations for disk drives. There are others on this forum who know much more than I do about storage devices.

I know on many games I can see a huge performance difference if I run it from the very fast m2 ssd in my machine that if I run it from a actual hard drive that is in the same machine.

So it should work but how well it works is going to greatly depend on the game.

Solution