Question Is it an overheat issue if...?

Mar 4, 2019
I experience sudden shutdowns during video rendering. The computer never shuts down during games or video editing, even under the heaviest loads, yet during render it has shut down quite a few times. Do you think this is an overheat issue? My average system temp is around 50 'c but during these renders it goes up to about 80 and then comese the shudown. Thanks for any help. Here's my specs:
Ryzen 7 1700x processor, 16GB RAM (Hyper X Fury), Nvidia GeForce 1060 6 GB, Arctic Cool Fan on 3200 rpm + 4 chassis fans on about 1800.

Amd chips have a lower throttle and shutdown point compared to intel, so you will need to make sure your cooler is working well. Make sure thermal goo is properly applied with appropriate tightening of the cooler screws. Are you using the stock cooler? Are you overclocked.

Mar 4, 2019
Amd chips have a lower throttle and shutdown point compared to intel, so you will need to make sure your cooler is working well. Make sure thermal goo is properly applied with appropriate tightening of the cooler screws. Are you using the stock cooler? Are you overclocked.
Thx for the answer, no it's not the stock cooler. I bought this separately as an alternative to a Noctua cooler that the shop didn't have in store, they said that this is just as good... Apparently it is not. The screws should be fine, tho Ill try reseating the cooler and applying some fresh thermal paste. Do you have any suggestions for a good cooler. No hydro please.

Are you overclocking the CPU or ram at all??? What are your ram settings, are you using XMP profile? Try your ram at 2400mhz.

I highly doubt the ryzen is overheating, even with a junky cooler unless you're overclocked quite a bit. 1st gen Ryzen's internal memory controllers were very sketch in terms of stability. 2nd gen ryzen improved it, and 3rd gen ryzen should fix it by having a separate I/O die.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a R7 1700x. That 8c/16t. Video editing, gaming and most of your workloads are barely using much more than 50% of the cpu ability, if even that. Rendering is different. It'll use as much as it can get its grubby paws on. You game on 6-8 threads, you render on 15-16. There's a huge difference in heat output at that level of workload. It's almost as much, if not more, than some stress tests.

Consequently that's going to put serious amounts of heat energy into the cpu cooler, (you just said Noctua alternative, not which one). For that kind of workload, bigger is better, you'd need at least a Noctua NH-D14/NH-U14S alternative, not a small NH-L9A. Thats a cooler with 180-200w+ ability. Anything lesser and you are looking at high temps while rendering.

Being a Ryzen, there's an intimate link with the infinity fabric engine (AMD's version of hyperthreading) and ram, of which the 1st gen had issues. This was mostly fixed by subsequent bios and microcode updates/fixes. This included better heat management and resource usage. It's kind of important to stay on top of any motherboard chipset drivers and bios updates especially. If you haven't installed the last bios update, I'd recommend doing that. Soon.

Reactions: mikbla
Being a Ryzen, there's an intimate link with the infinity fabric engine (AMD's version of hyperthreading) and ram, of which the 1st gen had issues. This was mostly fixed by subsequent bios and microcode updates/fixes. This included better heat management and resource usage. It's kind of important to stay on top of any motherboard chipset drivers and bios updates especially. If you haven't installed the last bios update, I'd recommend doing that. Soon.

My Ryzen 1600 still won't clock past 2933mhz with Hynix memory even though it's rated for 3200mhz on intel. If i run at 3200mhz, it'll work but gives me BSOD often while gaming. THat's with all the latest bios updates. Yes, definitely update to the latest bios, but a quick and easy answer would be to drop the ram speed to 2400mhz and run a render. You can check ram off the list of possible issues if it still crashes.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019
Thank you very much for this.
It's a R7 1700x. That 8c/16t. Video editing, gaming and most of your workloads are barely using much more than 50% of the cpu ability, if even that. Rendering is different. It'll use as much as it can get its grubby paws on. You game on 6-8 threads, you render on 15-16. There's a huge difference in heat output at that level of workload. It's almost as much, if not more, than some stress tests.

Consequently that's going to put serious amounts of heat energy into the cpu cooler, (you just said Noctua alternative, not which one). For that kind of workload, bigger is better, you'd need at least a Noctua NH-D14/NH-U14S alternative, not a small NH-L9A. Thats a cooler with 180-200w+ ability. Anything lesser and you are looking at high temps while rendering.

I believe the cooler was an alternative to Noctua NHD14 - apparently it's not much of an alternative. Either that or its these settings you mentioned. I will check that first and if I still experience shutdowns I'll replace the cooler. Thanks for your help and for the advices everyone!

Mar 4, 2019
Not overclock
Are you overclocking the CPU or ram at all??? What are your ram settings, are you using XMP profile? Try your ram at 2400mhz.

I highly doubt the ryzen is overheating, even with a junky cooler unless you're overclocked quite a bit. 1st gen Ryzen's internal memory controllers were very sketch in terms of stability. 2nd gen ryzen improved it, and 3rd gen ryzen should fix it by having a separate I/O die.
[/QUOTE
No not overclocked, there is no need. Pardon my ignorance but do I set these things you mentioned in Bios, or...?