is it important to have a 400w power suply for my 8800gts

alia83444

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I am getting an 8800 gts and i want to know if its compulsory to have atleast a 400w power supply for it. Also i am getting the 320 mb version... the one in the vga chart is a 640 mb vesrion, can i rely on the results to be the same?

Yes it is. Youll need at least that and then some. Look for psu's with 20 amps PER rail on the 12 volt rail. Go with quality, and 450 watts would be much better. And thats minimum with 1 HD 1 CD/DVD burner etc. As far as the difference between the 320vs640. thats mainly dependent upon your monitor resolution. 12x10 is ok, larger you may want the 640

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
YES, it is Really important.
i don't why people always want to go cheap on PSU :?:
That's a good question. Here are a few theories:
Because nobody is impressed by bragging about the PSU unless it's something like the PCP&C 1 kW, and some people buy their PC just to brag?
Maybe because they can't SEE any performance improvement from a better PSU (until the cheap one blows up).
Maybe they believe the power claims on cheap PSUs - probably the same mentality that leads to buying "1000W" stereo systems that run off of 6 D cells.

I agree with you, I always plan for my PSU to be able to outlast the rest of the system so if the GF9950GTX or the HD3900XTXTX come out with 300+ Watt consumption I'll be good to go. A cheap PSU can wreck your whole system in the blink of an eye.

ninjaspa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
amps are more important to focus on than wattage. wattage is only a broad indicator of a psu's worth. i used to think the higher priced yet equally wattaged power supplies were some kind of brand name rip off, but if you examine the specs, it really is worth spending more to get the higher amps and higher efficiency supplies.

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I am getting an 8800 gts and i want to know if its compulsory to have atleast a 400w power supply for it. Also i am getting the 320 mb version... the one in the vga chart is a 640 mb vesrion, can i rely on the results to be the same?

True story= about five months ago i built my 8800GTX setup with a core 2 Duo and a bunch of other cool things. bought a crap PSU, all went good for a month and then i wake up and for some damn reason my PC isn't running, i try to turn it on,,,,,,,,nothing so i find out it's the PSU and return it for a PC Power and Cooling 750 Watt silencer (one of the best PSU's on the market) i plug it in it powers up alls good, however i lost some of my CPU with the power supply, it used to do 3.4GHz stable now it only gets into windows at 3.2 and crashes shortly after....................i can hold 3.0 stable.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I've learned my lesson going with cheap PSUs in the past and you end up paying for it in the long run.

Get the best thing you can afford.

The 8800 series cards is high end, so get something that will do it justice.

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
That's a good question. Here are a few theories:
Because nobody is impressed by bragging about the PSU unless it's something like the PCP&C 1 kW, and some people buy their PC just to brag?
Maybe because they can't SEE any performance improvement from a better PSU (until the cheap one blows up).
Maybe they believe the power claims on cheap PSUs - probably the same mentality that leads to buying "1000W" stereo systems that run off of 6 D cells.

I agree with you, I always plan for my PSU to be able to outlast the rest of the system so if the GF9950GTX or the HD3900XTXTX come out with 300+ Watt consumption I'll be good to go. A cheap PSU can wreck your whole system in the blink of an eye.
:trophy: 5 Star from me! 8)

phreakindee

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
TAKE IT FROM ME: i had a cheap 450w off-brand PSU and an 8800gts.. within an hour my PSU went up in smoke! thankfully it didnt taken anything with it but i was lucky. went with a hiper 580w and have been great for months