[SOLVED] Is It Normal For My CPU Cores' Temperature to Reach 100 degrees C While Gaming?

Jun 26, 2021
Hello!

I've noticed that, sometimes, I cannot place my finger on my laptop around the power button area for longer than a few seconds before I have to take it off because the heat is too high. This is a new gaming laptop that I've bought a couple of weeks ago.

I downloaded and opened HWMonitor and found that the temperature of one (or a couple) of my CPU cores can reach 100 degrees C when having a game like PES 2021 running in the background, with the fan already making a noticeable, but stable and not annoying, sound (like you can tell that the fan is going very fast but it's not like you can assume that it's broken or not functioning properly).

Specs (if I need to place more, please let me know and tell me where to find it):

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
System Model: Dell G5 5590
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
VGA Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 TI 6 GB

PS: When I right click on desktop and select "Display Settings" and then "Advanced Display Settings", the info only shows me the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630, and not my NVidia GeForce; even though my NVidia card is recognizable in the "Nvidia Control Panel", in "Device Manager" and in the "Task Manager".

Is that Normal? Thanks so much in advance!

Solution
There is no standard way for info on an added video card to be passed on to the mobo. So your mobo can and will show you the temp of a mobo component like a video chip, but can NOT tell you that info for the video card components. However, you should also have some utilities for the video card, often used to configure it for what display, etc. That same utility probably has screens for seeing the temperature of the video card's components.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is no standard way for info on an added video card to be passed on to the mobo. So your mobo can and will show you the temp of a mobo component like a video chip, but can NOT tell you that info for the video card components. However, you should also have some utilities for the video card, often used to configure it for what display, etc. That same utility probably has screens for seeing the temperature of the video card's components.

Solution

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Yes, it's normal.

The i7-9750h has a max temp of 100°C.

And if you playing games, it won't take long before reaching that temperature as laptops usually have the worse cooling system.

Normal, but not necessarily good, depending on how long the OP might want to keep their laptop. Temperatures like that might be enough to cause components to fail earlier than expected, and is almost certainly throttling processor performance.

Is that Normal?

What is your laptop sitting on? Try to lift the back of your laptop off the table and give the air inlets a bigger clearance. A thick notebook should work well in a pinch. Just be careful - Even the short fall from that position might be enough damage your HDD, if there are any.

PS: When I right click on desktop and select "Display Settings" and then "Advanced Display Settings", the info only shows me the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630, and not my NVidia GeForce; even though my NVidia card is recognizable in the "Nvidia Control Panel", in "Device Manager" and in the "Task Manager".

Chances are your laptop's display is connected to the integrated card only, and your NVidia card is working through the former's interface. This is normal for laptops.

Jun 26, 2021
Normal, but not necessarily good, depending on how long the OP might want to keep their laptop. Temperatures like that might be enough to cause components to fail earlier than expected, and is almost certainly throttling processor performance.
But if it's not good, then it can be improved. But how and why, when it's supposed to be a gaming laptop? I mean, all I do basically is playing, for which the laptop is designed, and yet it reaches a risky temperature? I'm thinking it might be kind of faulty?

A thick notebook should work well in a pinch
Could you clarify, please, what you mean by that?

Thank you, and thank you very much in advance!

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
But if it's not good, then it can be improved. But how and why, when it's supposed to be a gaming laptop? I mean, all I do basically is playing, for which the laptop is designed, and yet it reaches a risky temperature? I'm thinking it might be kind of faulty?
Laptops aren't really often known for good cooling.

Take yours to the shop, and have them dust it off, and maybe reapply the thermal paste.

Or grab a can of compressed air and do it yourself. There are guides on the web for that.

You'd be amazed how much dust those fans and heatsinks could collect.
Could you clarify, please, what you mean by that?
Use something as a makeshift stand and give your fan an easier time breathing in.

There are also plastic and/or aluminium stands made for the purpose, but those can be somewhat expensive.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Absolutely. Laptops are nutorious for having worse cooling than desktops, and the cutoff point for Desktops (intel) is about 78c, whereas it's just about 100c for Laptops. You're okay.

Jun 26, 2021
Laptops aren't really often known for good cooling.

Take yours to the shop, and have them dust it off, and maybe reapply the thermal paste.

Or grab a can of compressed air and do it yourself. There are guides on the web for that.

You'd be amazed how much dust those fans and heatsinks could collect.

Use something as a makeshift stand and give your fan an easier time breathing in.

There are also plastic and/or aluminium stands made for the purpose, but those can be somewhat expensive.
Hey, thank you! I'd just like to know if you've already taken into consideration that it's a new device when you wrote this answer. Have you? :D

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Hey, thank you! I'd just like to know if you've already taken into consideration that it's a new device when you wrote this answer. Have you? :D
Yes, my old AMD laptop used to get to 100C all the time. Its max temperature was only 95c, and since it was poorly designed it killed itself due to constant overheating. Intel CPUs are built for this sort of temperature though.

Have you checked to see what your Win 10
Power Plan is on?

Also I bought a Asus fx504-es74
i7-8750h /gtx 1060 6gb and had what I thought was high temps but not like yours.
Still fairly new at the time I used
Intel Xtu and undervolted -0.150v which helped the temp alot along with keeping atleast elevated in the rear.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Whoops - Failed a spot check there, sorry about that.:oops:

Is your fan blowing hot air under load? Return to manufacturer for service if not - While rare, it's not unknown for heat pipes and such to fail.

If it is, then get a cooling stand, preferably with fans. Should help somewhat.

TRENDING THREADS