[SOLVED] Is it possible to configure a router as a hub (not a switch)?

tris00

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hey there,

I was wondering if it was possible to turn my router into a hub (not a switch). and reroute all the networkinfo that is coming through to all the computers connected to the "hub".
If it is possible, How would one do that, either through cli commands or settings.

Surely if it is not possible for a router it is not possible for a switch but I also have both a layer 2 and 3 switch laying around if that would work.

Thanks, :D

Solution
Hey there,

I was wondering if it was possible to turn my router into a hub (not a switch). and reroute all the networkinfo that is coming through to all the computers connected to the "hub".
If it is possible, How would one do that, either through cli commands or settings.

Surely if it is not possible for a router it is not possible for a switch but I also have both a layer 2 and 3 switch laying around if that would work.

No. The router has a switch on a chip built-into it and is not under firmware control. Some managed switches allow you to mirror a selected port to another. But not all of them.
Why would you want to broadcast all traffic to all ports?

kanewolf

Titan
Hey there,

No. The router has a switch on a chip built-into it and is not under firmware control. Some managed switches allow you to mirror a selected port to another. But not all of them.

Solution

tris00

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I don't really have a reason right now. I was just wondering if it was possible because I am learning networking and i heard hubs were great for sniffing networks. Also they are almost not buyable anymore so I was wondering if we could make switches/routers act the same so i can experiment with them a little bit :)