Question Is it possible to setup HDMI over IP via wifi repeaters, access points and a router?

Chris_Cross

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
I have Virgin TV setup in the Living Room with a Tivo system attached.
I also have a TV in the the dining room currently setup for Freeview with a crap signal.

The goal is to split the HDMI signal from the Tivo system to both the TVs so that I have a choice of which TV to watch a programs on, I understand that the same program would have to be watched on both TV's at any same moment in time if setup this way.

I've done some research and it seems that I could use an HDMI splitter at the Tivo end to cater for both TV's. To transport the signal to the Dining room it seems the best option is to use HDMI over IP, i.e. convert the signal to an ethernet connection and back to HDMI at the other end. However, a cable isn't ideal, there would be a lot of work required to lay the cable neatly out of sight.

Sooooo! is it possible to plug the ethernet cable from the "HDMI to Ethernet transmitter" into a WIFI repeater/access point and have the signal travel over WIFI, through the LAN to another WIFI repeater/access point connected to the "Ethernet to HDMI receiver" and then finally to the TV. The WIFI signal is very good in our house and I'm using Cat-8 cables where necessary so the bandwidth should be more than sufficient to do the job.

My worry is that the signal may not get routed properly through the network and consequently lost, I'm no expert on network protocols. I have a Media Centre that uses the WIFI network to transmit to the Android driven TV in the Living Room so I don't see why this should fail to work in theory.

Please note I've already tried independent HDMI transmitter to receiver equipment and they are not fit for purpose, unless I want to spend over £400 which I don't so this is not an option

Hope someone can help

regards

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Sooooo! is it possible to plug the ethernet cable from the "HDMI to Ethernet transmitter" into a WIFI repeater/access point and have the signal travel over WIFI, through the LAN to another WIFI repeater/access point connected to the "Ethernet to HDMI receiver" and then finally to the TV. The WIFI signal is very good in our house and I'm using Cat-8 cables where necessary so the bandwidth should be more than sufficient to do the job.
I strongly doubt an HDMI signal would work well over a standard WiFi connection.

If it DID, we'd be seeing that as a standard connection type.

Chris_Cross

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
I strongly doubt an HDMI signal would work well over a standard WiFi connection.

If it DID, we'd be seeing that as a standard connection type.

Yeah! I've been thinking the same thing.

It's just frustrating because my wifi will transmit at over 100Mbps which should be more than ample for even 4K although I'm not considering compression here. The Media Centre transmits seamlessly but I don't know whether it downloads the entire film before playing it first which isn't the same as streaming.

I suppose I'll have to wait for technology to improve or maybe even 5G to be implemented as that is going to be a game changer for streaming due to the improved bandwidth.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah! I've been thinking the same thing.

It's just frustrating because my wifi will transmit at over 100Mbps which should be more than ample for even 4K although I'm not considering compression here. The Media Centre transmits seamlessly but I don't know whether it downloads the entire film before playing it first before playing it which isn't the same as streaming.

I suppose I'll have to wait for technology to improve or maybe even 5G to be implemented as that is going to be a game changer for streaming due to the improved bandwidth.
With WiFi, there is a LOT of back and forth traffic. Especially between two "access points".

Chris_Cross

Prominent
Apr 16, 2019
There are specialize hardware HDMI wireless repeaters like this -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00630WKGI/
According to the spec sheet -- https://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/ it runs in the 5Ghz band so it would have the same limitations as 5Ghz WIFI.

Looks like the kit for the job but, I've tried this solution before and it was pants, the equipment promotes 1080p using both 5GHz and 2.8GHz combined and yes it transmits it but, the stuttering was god awful and made it not fit for purpose, it becomes blatantly obvious when you see horizontal panning or end film credits and this is with the equipment literally a foot apart, consequently I don't trust them. I had to downgrade the resolution to 720i to get it to work without stutter. I looked up reviews too and it seems it's a problem with most of that type of equipment, might not be the case if I'm prepared to spend £400+ but I'm not unfortunately, especially on a gamble.

However thanks for the suggestion, it is appreciated.