Question Is it possible to use "Disc" from failed external hard disk into new external hard disk ?

Aug 17, 2023
:)
hello,

greetings..

I want to know if i can use the disc from my failed external hard disk into new one ?

I have this sony 1 tb external hard disk which failed in 2021 due to some power issues i guess, it started to sound like tik-tik , no more readable or anything however some software like iobit partition assistant, minitool etc were able to recognize disk but not in system, for now it is dead , but there is some hope.

what i am questioning is that can i replace this DISC into new external hard disk ? is this possible ?
If yes, then should it be in Same Model external hard disk or any will do ???

Thank you!

You have to open the old case and see what's in there, if the HDD is a normal sata drive you can connect it internally to a PC to run your checks to see if the HDD is still usable or not.
If the HDD is ok you can keep it connected internally or buy any case that will fit the same size of disk, not Gb but physical dimensions of the drive.

But if a drive does tik-tik it usually is on it's way to the afterlife.

Aug 17, 2023
You have to open the old case and see what's in there, if the HDD is a normal sata drive you can connect it internally to a PC to run your checks to see if the HDD is still usable or not.
If the HDD is ok you can keep it connected internally or buy any case that will fit the same size of disk, not Gb but physical dimensions of the drive.

But if a drive does tik-tik it usually is on it's way to the afterlife.

Umm yeaa, but the thing is it is external hdd & i have laptop , i want to take out the disc in it and put it in new external hdd, please tell me its possible.. 😭

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
"Can I replace this DISC into new external hard disk ?"

If by this you mean "can I remove the 1TB Sony hard disk from its USB housing and fit it into a replacement USB housing?" the answer is probably yes.

However, there's always the possibility that one housing will perform sector translation and the other one won't.

A much easier option if it's a SATA drive is to remove it from the case and connect it to a standard ATX motherboard in a desktop PC, but again, sector translation may rear its ugly head.

CAUTION. If your drive is suffering from the fabled 'Click of Death', the only sensible course of action is to cease any futher messing around and hand the drive over to a professional recovery firm, together with $300 to $500. They'll disassemble the drive in a clean room and potentially move the platters over into a donor drive. That's why recovery is so expensive.
https://www.howtogeek.com/832396/what-is-the-click-of-death-in-an-hdd-and-what-should-you-do/

Of course, you won't need to spend any money if you keep proper backups. You do have backups don't you?

Then again, you might be asking if you can fit a brand new drive in the Sony housing and throw the old drive away.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I think what the OP is asking is whether he can continue using the external housing by replacing the defective HDD with a good one.

From the description, it is probably the HDD that's defective and there's a good chance that the adapter is OK. It sounds like the partitioning software can read the firmware but not the disk itself.

If that's the case, putting in another working HDD will probably work. I say "probably" because it's a Sony product and they like to do things their own way.

The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Aug 17, 2023
I think what the OP is asking is whether he can continue using the external housing by replacing the defective HDD with a good one.

From the description, it is probably the HDD that's defective and there's a good chance that the adapter is OK. It sounds like the partitioning software can read the firmware but not the disk itself.

If that's the case, putting in another working HDD will probably work. I say "probably" because it's a Sony product and they like to do things their own way.

The only way to know for sure is to try it.
Thanx

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Enclosures for hard drives are very inexpensive. Why not simply pick a new enclosure for a drive you want to buy, rather than trying to find another drive that works with a very specific enclosure that provides no real advantage?

Assuming, of course, you're talking about a failed HDD in an external HDD case and you want to replace it with another HDD; I'm still not completely clear about anything because you keep referring to "the disc" which is extremely vague and confusing.

USAFRet

Titan
Can it be successful when i have another same model Sony HDD ??
There is also the possibility of encryption via the enclosure.

Remove that drive from that specific enclosure...no access to the data.

This, of course, assumes that the actual drive is not dead.
As you said originally, ", it started to sound like tik-tik".....that may be the click of death on the actual drive, and not a power issue from the enclosure.

Jul 24, 2021
when a drive starts clicking constantly it is in a cyclic redundancy and it going to die... accessing data from it may be sketchy at best. your best bet is to buy a new external drive, they are available in much larger capacities and also probably perform better as well as costing less per gb of harddrive space than your previous drive. Personally I have 4 nvme drives in my computer with all of my raw data backed up to two internal HDD drives as well as one external. I don't back up boot drives as I always prefer a clean install but 100% of all my data is backep up.