[SOLVED] Is it safe to continue with that PSU ?

mesterkrate

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
Hi, I've a cooler master 500w psu and i own it since 4 years with AMD R7 2GB DDR5 and it worked fine for about 3 years
but on 2018 while playing GTA V the screen froze but i restarted my pc and i ignored that then after 1 day the same thing happened while playing pubg then it continued to happen.

I decided to reinstall windows (Win 7 64bit) but after installing gpu driver and restarting pc the screen freezes and it doesn't start.

I thought the GPU is dead and i decided to play with another old gpu until i buy a new PC.

_
it was :
6gb ram DDR3
AMD RADEON R7 (Changed to Geforce 210 after the gpu dead)
cooler master 500w psu
Intel core i5-2400
500GB HDD
350GB HDD
_
PC worked fine with nividia geforce 210 for about 1 year then i bought a new PC but with the same PSU
GPU : RTX 2060 MSI Gaming Z
RAM :8gb ram ddr4 2666
Processor :Core I5-9400f
motherboard : GIGABYTE B360 HD3
500GB HDD
350GB HDD
PSU :cooler master 500w (The same one)
Case : cooler master mb520 RGB
___

it worked for about 3 days with no problems until now

did my old GPU (AMD R7) dead because of the PSU and i should change the PSU or it's just dead because of the temp?
is it safe to continue with that psu?
because i don't have money for a new one right now

the psu's fans makes noise while gaming since 2 years until now

Last edited:
Solution
What about the Thermaltake Litepower 650W SLI/CrossFire Ready ATX12V V2.3 Haswell Ready? i heard that it's not bad but all is about the brand which i don't really know anything about

Actually... it's pretty much the worse PSU that you've listed.

How in the world is Thermaltake's bottom of the line PSU "not bad"?

DF front end, no DC to DC, 230V only, sleeve bearing fan.

Whoever you heard that from should probably stop giving advice.

Seriously. The Gigabyte, the Cooler Master or the Cougar. Those are your three best choices. I'm not entertaining any more posts where I have to explain why cheaper options are cheaper.

mesterkrate

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What exact model PSU is it?
Cooler Master make a multitude of 500W PSUs.

Just to make sure I'm understanding, you bought a whole new PC but reused the same PSU?

I don't know, i will try to find it.

Just to make sure I'm understanding, you bought a whole new PC but reused the same PSU?
yes that's true the PSU and the HDD.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't know, i will try to find it.

yes that's true the PSU and the HDD.
Find out the PSU model if you can.

It already sounds like your PSU - but Cooler Master make some awful quality PSU's like the Elite series for example which can easily cause problems.

See my guide here and look at point 1 on poor quality PSUs: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Reactions: mesterkrate

mesterkrate

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
Last edited:

mesterkrate

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
Ultimately the MWE Bronze aren't great.
If you're really stuck on a budget, you are probably best considering a Corsair CX for example.
actually Corsair PSUs aren't widespread in egypt, what about
1-MasterWatt Lite 230V - 600W Power Supply

2-GIGABYTE P650B 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply - 650W

3-RAIDMAX Thunder RGB RX-535AP 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Power Supply - 535W

4- BITFENIX BPA 600 - 600W

5-Cougar VTE600 80+ Bronze 600 Watt

6-
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC

7-
Thermaltake Litepower 650W SLI/CrossFire Ready ATX12V V2.3 Haswell Ready

Sry for the large font xD

Last edited:
Ah.... Egypt.

Yeah. Corsair used to be distributed by Venus in Egypt, but not anymore.

You're obviously linking these from another page and that's why the font is so large.

When you paste, you should do a right click and "paste as plain text" or click on the "remove formatting" icon to the left of the text box you paste into.

The Master Watt Lite is garbage.

The BitFenix BPA600 is garbage.

The Cougar is ok.

The Gigabyte is ok.

Ultimately the MWE Bronze aren't great.

Actually, the BRONZE MWE isn't bad. But that's not what the OP listed.

My guess the OP Was talking about this dumpster fire: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-550/

Yeah.. Stick with the Cougar or Gigabyte.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah my head instinctively put a "bronze" and upon reflection I saw that wasn't stated at all.
And yes I agree, they're not, my other understanding was that the higher wattage ones were inherently better, thus my comment. Happy to be corrected however.

Agreed it's not awful, but would still choose a CX over it any day.

mesterkrate

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
Ah.... Egypt.

Yeah. Corsair used to be distributed by Venus in Egypt, but not anymore.

You're obviously linking these from another page and that's why the font is so large.

When you paste, you should do a right click and "paste as plain text" or click on the "remove formatting" icon to the left of the text box you paste into.

The Master Watt Lite is garbage.

The BitFenix BPA600 is garbage.

The Cougar is ok.

The Gigabyte is ok.

My guess the OP Was talking about this dumpster fire: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-550/

Yeah.. Stick with the Cougar or Gigabyte.

What about the Seasonic ?

What about the Seasonic ?

I'm on the fence on that one because it's so old. Old topology. Front and back end. Also doesn't have OCP because of a cheap supervisor IC.

Not to sound overly technical, but....

The Cougar is still double forward, but at least uses DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (I believe it's HEC's TD series).

If it's the old Cooler Master MWE Bronze, it's very similar to the Cougar. It's even made in the same factory. So if given the choice between the two, I'd get whatever was cheaper.

If it's the new Cooler Master MWE Bronze, it actually has an LLC front end as well as DC to DC. Very much like the Corsair CX.

All of these out perform the other PSUs you've listed.

mesterkrate

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
I'm on the fence on that one because it's so old. Old topology. Front and back end. Also doesn't have OCP because of a cheap supervisor IC.

Not to sound overly technical, but....

The Cougar is still double forward, but at least uses DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (I believe it's HEC's TD series).

If it's the old Cooler Master MWE Bronze, it's very similar to the Cougar. It's even made in the same factory. So if given the choice between the two, I'd get whatever was cheaper.

If it's the new Cooler Master MWE Bronze, it actually has an LLC front end as well as DC to DC. Very much like the Corsair CX.

All of these out perform the other PSUs you've listed.

What about the Thermaltake Litepower 650W SLI/CrossFire Ready ATX12V V2.3 Haswell Ready? i heard that it's not bad but all is about the brand which i don't really know anything about

How in the world is Thermaltake's bottom of the line PSU "not bad"?

Seriously. The Gigabyte, the Cooler Master or the Cougar. Those are your three best choices. I'm not entertaining any more posts where I have to explain why cheaper options are cheaper.

Last edited:
Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed with above, much worse.

Thermaltake Litepower 650W SLI/CrossFire Ready ATX12V V2.3 Haswell Ready?
It's not really the PSU that stipulates crossfire ready, usually it's just GPU and the board itself. The PSU just has to have the quantity and connectors to power them, and never ever would I use even a mediocre PSU on a system I wanted to potentially SLI with.

Which as a side note, there isn't much value in dual graphics cards anymore apart from very specific purposes.

Reactions: mesterkrate

mesterkrate

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019

How in the world is Thermaltake's bottom of the line PSU "not bad".

Agreed with above, much worse.

It's not really the PSU that stipulates crossfire ready, usually it's just GPU and the board itself. The PSU just has to have the quantity and connectors to power them, and never ever would I use even a mediocre PSU on a system I wanted to potentially SLI with.

Which as a side note, there isn't much value in dual graphics cards anymore apart from very specific purposes.

alright, thank you for your efforts. i think i will go with COOLER MASTER MWE 550 - 550 WATT 80 PLUS CERTIFIED PSU

Last edited:
alright, thank you for your efforts. i think i will go with COOLER MASTER MWE 550 - 550 WATT 80 PLUS CERTIFIED PSU

No!

That one is GARBAGE!

Try to keep up.

I said the BRONZE Cooler Master MWE is the good one.

There is a H-U-G-E difference between the MWE 80 PLUS and the MWE 80 PLUS Bronze.

You do NOT want the MWE that is NOT Bronze rated.

One last time:

You want the Cooler Master MWE Bronze, the Gigabyte VTE600 or the Gigabyte Gigabyte P650B. That's it. Period.

mesterkrate

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
No!

That one is GARBAGE!

Try to keep up.

I said the BRONZE Cooler Master MWE is the good one.

There is a H-U-G-E difference between the MWE 80 PLUS and the MWE 80 PLUS Bronze.

You do NOT want the MWE that is NOT Bronze rated.

One last time:

You want the Cooler Master MWE Bronze, the Gigabyte VTE600 or the Gigabyte Gigabyte P650B. That's it. Period.
here's link or the coolermaster PSU i meant : https://highendstore.net/Power-Supplies?product_id=364&sort=p.price&order=ASC

anyway i will go with P650B 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply - 650W Then
and that is it's link : https://sigma-computer.com/item?id=382

Last edited: