Question Is it worth it buying another exhaust fan

Avacadoee

Honorable
Jun 5, 2017
I’m making a build for myself but i don’t know if i should buy another exhaust fan (nf-f12) or should i just put the extra $20 i have back into other components when my case already comes with an exhaust fan pre installed. The case i’m going to get, as a temporary one at least, is the Mx330.

Avacadoee

Honorable
Jun 5, 2017
Well, that totally depends on what the build consists of.

What hardware will you be using? CPU, motherboard, graphics card, etc?

Will you be overclocking?

Where do you live? (Because, ambient temps for your region could definitely be a factor)

It’s a slightly old build but i found amazing deals for the parts,
-Ryzen 5 1600
-ml240r
-b350-f
-16gb 3000mhz Ram
-MSI Vega 56 Air Boost
-Mx330
-550-600w power supply (haven’t figured that all out)
Yes i will be overclocking both the cpu and gpu, but i will also be undervolting the gpu.
I live in Florida, weather averages around 80 Fahrenheight, or 26c

Two intake, two exhaust. That would be my recommendation.

If you're going to be overclocking

(And you do NOT want to overclock anything and then undervolt it. That's not how it works. You use the voltage, whatever that might be, that allows you to pass stability testing and you DO extensive stability testing to be SURE. You don't use anybody else's numbers. You figure out what works on YOUR hardware, because your hardware, whether it is a GPU, memory, CPU, whatever, is NOT the same as anybody else's. Every piece of silicon is different and will require you to test in order to find what voltage works for you to achieve stability at any given clock setting along with the rest of the hardware, especially the motherboard. Exact same hardware on two different motherboards will usually require completely different settings for optimal stability)

you do not want to try and keep your internals cool with a single exhaust fan. Sorry, but that's ludicrous. You need ample airflow through the case because there is a lot more than just the CPU that needs to be kept cool. GPU card fans aren't much help if they are trying to cool with hot air. Same goes for the CPU cooler. Overclocking creates tremendous differences in thermal variance for memory and motherboard components as well and of course other devices such as storage drives need some amount of cooling as well ESPECIALLY if you are going to run M.2 storage devices.

I'd be glad to help your further with deciding what will work best for you if you wish to pursue doing so or would like fan model recommendations.