is my harddrive failing?

visler7000

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
2rf3i1i.png

its says caution but i dont know how bad this is?

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
[strike]if i'm reading the data correctly, the caution is a false alarm. SMART data though verys from vender to vender though so i may be wrong.[/strike]

something that might be better at this than me, Speed Fan has a HDD SMART data analysis option that will submit your SMART data to http://www.hddstatus.com/index.php and give you a break down on what might be going on.

edit...
the hard drive is quite old looking things over again. A new hard drive might be in order simply due to age, as if its not failing now, it will eventually.

WildCard999

Titan
UPDATE: You can also try to check the drive and possibly fix them by going into My Computer>?Failing Drive>Properties>Tools>Check Drive for Errors.

If its giving you caution messages or beeps it might be failing. I would recommend getting a external storage device and anything you need, copying it over to the drive. Then purchase a new HDD and download Windows onto it (using the CD Key from the failing drive) then putting the files from the external onto the new drive.

Rit_86

Distinguished
Your hard drive has shown some critical errors.
Here is a guide to the errors and their importance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
Failing will depend on luck. I have a HDD showing the same errors for the last 3 years but still working. But some may experience the failure within minutes. You can never be too careful. Backup all your data very regularly from now on and keep your fingers crossed.

visler7000

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
speed fan says my over all performance of this drive is 65% and the harddrive is reported as bad :/

Some of the attributes of your hard disk are below the S.M.A.R.T. thresholds set by the manufacturer.

they also reported about 4 diffrent BLOCKING ISSUES

So ill take that as get a new drive fast

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

the safe route is always the best route when it comes to storage. with two different SMART readers both saying the hard drive isn't in a good state, its time to replace. look on the bright side though, hard drives are cheep and this is a great excuse to get more storage.