jeffboy123

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
so i accidentally plugged a floppy disk power connecter into my fan header because it’s connected to my case fans and it started smoking. the chip next to the fan header blew. is my motherboard dead do i need to get a new one? do you think the other components are dead too?

Solution
so i accidentally plugged a floppy disk power connecter into my fan header because it’s connected to my case fans and it started smoking. the chip next to the fan header blew. is my motherboard dead do i need to get a new one? do you think the other components are dead too?
pictures?

It is probably just the fan driver that you toasted, if so it's probably just that fan header and any others that share that driver. If it were me I'd try to very carefully cut away that smoked driver chip and then see if it powers up and runs. The reason I remove the burnt chip is from an abundance of caution as it's possible it's damage could end up shorting 12V to ground and that would damage other stuff.
pictures?

It is probably just the fan driver that you toasted, if so it's probably just that fan header and any others that share that driver. If it were me I'd try to very carefully cut away that smoked driver chip and then see if it powers up and runs. The reason I remove the burnt chip is from an abundance of caution as it's possible it's damage could end up shorting 12V to ground and that would damage other stuff.

Solution