[SOLVED] Is my wall ethernet jack bottlenecking internet speed?

Sep 1, 2019
I have recently increased my network speed from 100mb to 1gb at my home. The router is located in the opposite side of the house from where I usually am. The thing is, in my computer I am getting constantly the old 100mb speeds whereas if I connect directly to the router I get the 1gb. Can the internal wiring of the house be the problem or even the ethernet wall jack (using T568A) and is there a solution to avoid rewiring everything?

Solution
You need to be sure the proper wire color pattern is being used on both ends.

It can be a single wire that is just loose. You want to repunch all the wires or you can remove the wire cut off about 1/2 inch and repunch the wires.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends what's terminated in the wall. If only 4 wires (vs 8) were used, you'd be limited.
What likely happened, is 4 were used for ethernet and they've utilized the balance for phone line(s).

Remove the plate from the wall - if the wire is split, it'll be obvious.
If you don't need phone line(s), you could fix that easily enough, assuming there's enough length remaining to strip/re-terminate.

Sep 1, 2019
Depends what's terminated in the wall. If only 4 wires (vs 8) were used, you'd be limited.
What likely happened, is 4 were used for ethernet and they've utilized the balance for phone line(s).

Remove the plate from the wall - if the wire is split, it'll be obvious.
If you don't need phone line(s), you could fix that easily enough, assuming there's enough length remaining to strip/re-terminate.
It is consisted of 8 wires, not 4 :/