[SOLVED] Is my Wired router failing?

Max55gamerX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
My router is loosing connection, while my cable modem is fully connected. The only way to get it to reconnect is by restarting my cable modem.

This problem was happening with my ISP provided Ubee DDM352.1 Modem. So I replaced that with my own ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 and a new Ethernet cable.

But the same problem keeps happening. Is my router failing?

Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream™ AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router
Linksys model # EA7500

Or is there another problem I'm missing?

Solution
So when it breaks you can not log into the modem and look at the logs ? I guess is how do you know the modem is actually connected.

Some of those message indicate you have lost connection to the ISP. The DHCP one and the 16 connective ones are bad but sometimes you get them right after you reboot the modem as it is first connecting. So it depends how often this happens and when this happens.

There is a different menu that show the signal levels. I would check that these are within the recommend range especially the uplink ones. Since it depends on which docsis you are using I will let you search rather than try to cut and paste.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I just replaced mine for the same reason. different router but similar behavior.
have you run for a time with no router, straight off the modem? if all is well without the router this will add credence to the router being suspect.
check the voltages from the power adapter, wall warts can go bad, voltage irregularities could cause issues as well.

When it is in the failed condition can you get into the router.

Does the router think it has a IP address on the wan port. Does it think the cable is in a disconnected state. Does that router have a log does it show anything.

Can you get into the modem when it broken... you should be able to use ip 192.168.100.1.

The modem has a log but I am not sure it will show anything and it gets purged when you reboot it. You could try to change the mac address on your PC to match the router wan port and then plug your PC in place of the router when it fails. This might let you get the log without a reboot.

It depends on how quickly this happens. You can test a router with a pc on the wan and lan port just doing data transfers. This is how they benchmark routers. Problem is if your failure is only every couple days it will be hard to get a test since it could be certain data patterns.

I guess you could check the firmware level but most 802.11ac routers have been out long enough there are not many serious bugs left.

Max55gamerX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I'm not sure about the router log. But I can get the modem log.

The modem has a log but I am not sure it will show anything and it gets purged when you reboot it.

Here is a brief list of log events from Modem: Many of these repeat.

TLV-11 - unrecognized OID

Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV

Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;

16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel 1

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

DHCP failed - DHCP Solicit sent, No DHCP Advertise received

The only thing the gets my router reconnected is rebooting my modem.

It depends how often those message occur. If they are all in a couple seconds you connect failed to the ISP. If the are over a couple days it is just the random stuff you see on a modem.

It is not very common for a router to fail. What is strange is why you reboot the modem and it fixes but reboot the router itself does not.

Max55gamerX

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
From what I read of the modem log, those messages repeat each day.

Here is what is happening with my connection. My modem is fully connected, router is in sync, the desktop taskbar internet icon shows connection.

Then at random times I lose connection. The desktop taskbar internet icon shows No Connection. While my cable modem is fully connected. I check my router, and
it is not synced to my cable modem anymore.

I tried restarting my router, but that doesn't fix the problem. Only when I reboot/restart my cable modem the router will get back in sync.

So when it breaks you can not log into the modem and look at the logs ? I guess is how do you know the modem is actually connected.

Some of those message indicate you have lost connection to the ISP. The DHCP one and the 16 connective ones are bad but sometimes you get them right after you reboot the modem as it is first connecting. So it depends how often this happens and when this happens.

There is a different menu that show the signal levels. I would check that these are within the recommend range especially the uplink ones. Since it depends on which docsis you are using I will let you search rather than try to cut and paste.

Solution