[SOLVED] Is powerline ethernet a good option?

fishbuster23

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
My router is upstairs but my setup is in the basement and the speeds and ping are bad. an ethernet cable is not an option and I was wondering if powerline is a good option. I have heard its better than wifi but worse than standard ethernet, is that true?

Solution
Those will likely work if cost is a huge issue. Those are previous generation technology, they are the ones I hate the most because tplink just renamed the av500 to av600 to try to trick people into thinking it was using something called av2-600.

You might see 60-80mps with units like that. You want to look for units with number 1000 or 2000. These too are a complex mess of lies but these tend to all be one of the newer technologies. You might if you are lucky get 300mbps but it depends on your house and the electrical wires.

kanewolf

Titan
My router is upstairs but my setup is in the basement and the speeds and ping are bad. an ethernet cable is not an option and I was wondering if powerline is a good option. I have heard its better than wifi but worse than standard ethernet, is that true?
It is true that it is usually better than WIFI and is always worse than ethernet cable. A third option is MoCA, which uses coax cable. If you have coax cable pre-installed, you might be able to use MoCA.
The powerline with the best performance will be the AV2000 or AV1000 units.

fishbuster23

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
It is true that it is usually better than WIFI and is always worse than ethernet cable. A third option is MoCA, which uses coax cable. If you have coax cable pre-installed, you might be able to use MoCA.
The powerline with the best performance will be the AV2000 or AV1000 units.
Ok thankyou, i live in australia and the top internet speed here is around 200mbps. would you say this is a good option?

Those will likely work if cost is a huge issue. Those are previous generation technology, they are the ones I hate the most because tplink just renamed the av500 to av600 to try to trick people into thinking it was using something called av2-600.

You might see 60-80mps with units like that. You want to look for units with number 1000 or 2000. These too are a complex mess of lies but these tend to all be one of the newer technologies. You might if you are lucky get 300mbps but it depends on your house and the electrical wires.

Solution
I would explore MOCA before attempting powerline. Moca will be better with higher bandwidth, that reaches actual gigabit speeds.

For powerline G.hn is the fastest, but not in every house. In some houses AV2000 is faster. It's unfortunately guess and check due to differences in each house.

The main advantage of G.hn is that it's still in active development. The same chipset can be used in Telephone wires, Coax and powerline, which makes the standard more versatile.

Last edited: