[SOLVED] Is SLI'ing my 1070 a good idea now?

Bob is building

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
So I don't have the cash at the moment to jump into the 3000 series graphics cards, but the excitement around them has awoken in me a desire to upgrade my rig.

i7 6700k at 4GHz
GTX1070 8GB
16GB DDR4

I only care about gaming performance, and am wondering about SLI. I can get an identical 1070 to mine for around £150. Is it worth it? What should I do instead?

Best

Solution
There are a handful of games that come to mind that didn't/don't run very well on 4 core/ 8 thread CPUs (such as your 6700k): Red Dead Redemption 2, Detroit: become human, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. I'm sure there are more, that's just what I can think of right now.

I believe all three of these were patched at some point or another to run better than they did at launch, but the writing is on the wall: More and more, modern games want 6 core / 12 thread CPUs. Otherwise, they stutter and hitch a lot which is very distracting.

You should be fine upgrading your current system to run with a 2070 Super, just keep in mind that there may be a few games that won't run as well as they would with a better CPU (obviously). Also, many...

Bob is building

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
Thank you both. If I sold my 1070 and bought a used 2070 Super (£300~), would my CPU be able to keep up with it? Likewise when they release a 3060, at around £300, will my rig be able to keep up with that?

Thank you both. If I sold my 1070 and bought a used 2070 Super (£300~), would my CPU be able to keep up with it? Likewise when they release a 3060, at around £300, will my rig be able to keep up with that?
u are really in a rush to get rid of that 1070,arent you xD
I personally dont think that bottlenecking is a problem.People sometimes overexagurate and say like the hardware you are about to buy wont work because of a "bootleneck" .It think it wont be a problem running a 3070 with 6700k,let alone 3060 which will be weaker than the 3070.You are all good.
I have a friend who is running pentium E5800 with RX 590 and he isnt even worried about it,let alone you with 6700k xD
Edit: and DONT go to bottleneck calculator to check if there are any bottlenecks,the site is complete bs.

Reactions: Bob is building

Bob is building

Honorable
Jun 21, 2015
I personally dont think that bottlenecking is a problem.

I was mostly thinking about next-gen games, since even the £250 Series S has a CPU about as powerful as the £250 Ryzen 3700x, which appears to be able to run rings around my old i7. If games are now expecting that level of CPU performance, I can easily imagine a world where I get slowdown caused by CPU maxing out notwithstanding my sexy graphics card.

There are a handful of games that come to mind that didn't/don't run very well on 4 core/ 8 thread CPUs (such as your 6700k): Red Dead Redemption 2, Detroit: become human, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. I'm sure there are more, that's just what I can think of right now.

I believe all three of these were patched at some point or another to run better than they did at launch, but the writing is on the wall: More and more, modern games want 6 core / 12 thread CPUs. Otherwise, they stutter and hitch a lot which is very distracting.

You should be fine upgrading your current system to run with a 2070 Super, just keep in mind that there may be a few games that won't run as well as they would with a better CPU (obviously). Also, many games are built with consoles as the baseline. Thus, as newer games are built around the new consoles in the not-too-distant-future, your CPU will inevitably need to be upgraded at some point to keep up.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
So I don't have the cash at the moment to jump into the 3000 series graphics cards, but the excitement around them has awoken in me a desire to upgrade my rig.

i7 6700k at 4GHz
GTX1070 8GB
16GB DDR4

I only care about gaming performance, and am wondering about SLI. I can get an identical 1070 to mine for around £150. Is it worth it? What should I do instead?

Best
Well SLI and Crossfire are dead. nVidia doesn't even support it properly anymore so you can have trouble to even get it to work to begin with. With that CPU I would stick with that video card. When the time is right you can do a complete upgrade because any video card higher then the 1070 on that CPU and your not going to get the performance you should get and it is a waiste of money.🙈🤷‍♂️🎗💯

Reactions: Bob is building