charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I am considering buying the Dell XPS 13 and I would like feedback about it's suitability given my requirements.

The most important consideration for me is portability as this laptop will be used for travel and it rates very well as a light weight, small footprint laptop. But I also need it to function for a limited amount of photo (Photoshop) and video (Premiere Pro) editing while on the go. I will also be using a desktop when I'm at home, so this is not my primary workstation, but it needs to meet the software's minimum requirements.

When comparing the stats on the Dell site with the Adobe requirements there are some differences that I need help with.

Display: The FHD+ 1920 x 1200 display appears to be the only available option with 32GB of memory and 1TB storage, for some reason. The higher memory and especially the greater amount of storage is more important to me.

The Adobe requirements are for Photoshop 1920 x 1080 display or greater at 100% UI Scaling, and for Premiere DisplayHDR 400 for HDR workflows. Does the FHD+ listed meet these (no mention on Dell site of UI Scaling or HDR)?

Video Card: The Dell laptop comes with an Iris XE Graphics card. The Photoshop requirement is GPU with DirectX 12 support (no Graphics Card mentioned for Premiere). Is the Iris XE a DirectX 12 card?

Processor: The Dell's highest option available is 12th Gen Core i7. The Photoshop requirement page only lists an ARM processor (no Intel), for Premiere the requirement is Intel 7th Gen or newer CPU with Quick Sync. Is an ARM processor equivalent to an Intel 12th Gen Core i7? What is Quick Sync? How can I tell if the Dell XP13 has it and how important is it?

You can understand my confusion comparing these stats.

Relevant links:
Dell XP13
Photoshop System Requirements
Premiere Pro System Requirements

Thanks for any advice given.
Charles

The Dell XPS 13 is a great laptop, so if you want something light and portable that's well made then it's a good choice.

In terms of judging the performance, that's difficult to do because it depends on a number of factors. Will it run Photoshop and Premier Pro, then the answer is yes. Will it do so at the performance your require is a different question, it sounds like these will be more limited projects than perhaps you would do on your desktop machine so the answer is probably yes.

Display: The FHD+ 1920 x 1200 display appears to be the only available option with 32GB of memory and 1TB storage, for some reason. The higher memory and especially the greater amount of storage is more important to me.

The Adobe requirements are for Photoshop 1920 x 1080 display or greater at 100% UI Scaling, and for Premiere DisplayHDR 400 for HDR workflows. Does the FHD+ listed meet these (no mention on Dell site of UI Scaling or HDR)?
I think they are talking about the UI scaling in the app itself. So at 100% scaling you need at least a 1080p resolution or there won't be sufficient screen real estate available. So on that basis yes the Dell meets those specifications.

Video Card: The Dell laptop comes with an Iris XE Graphics card. The Photoshop requirement is GPU with DirectX 12 support (no Graphics Card mentioned for Premiere). Is the Iris XE a DirectX 12 card?
Yes it supports DirectX 12. Obviously a dedicated card would perform much better than an iGPU in elements that use the GPU.

Processor: The Dell's highest option available is 12th Gen Core i7. The Photoshop requirement page only lists an ARM processor (no Intel), for Premiere the requirement is Intel 7th Gen or newer CPU with Quick Sync. Is an ARM processor equivalent to an Intel 12th Gen Core i7? What is Quick Sync? How can I tell if the Dell XP13 has it and how important is it?
I think your looking at the wrong system requirements for an ARM based version of Photoshop. ARM and x86 CPU's like the Core i7 use a different instruction set and must use different versions of Photoshop. Quick Sync is a hardware based video encoder built into the Intel iGPU, it's a useful feature to have because it can cut down export times for things like h.264 and can accelerate things like previews and stuff like that.
All Intel iGPU's have it though and it's been supported by Adobe for years.

I would opt for 32GB RAM if you can afford it, you cannot upgrade it later.

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the speedy replies. Yes, I plan to get 32GB of memory and 1TB storage for travel, I was just concerned that you can't upgrade the Display with those options, but it sounds like it's all good, I should be fine. I will not be doing any heavy graphic or video editing work, I just need to do some basic adjustments or assembly if I need to - the heavy lifting will be done at home on the desktop later.

Forgot to mention Lightroom, but I can't see that being a problem - it runs fine on my old Dell laptop.

Looks like I'm good to go with this choice. Thanks again.

Charles

Thanks for the speedy replies. Yes, I plan to get 32GB of memory and 1TB storage for travel, I was just concerned that you can't upgrade the Display with those options, but it sounds like it's all good, I should be fine. I will not be doing any heavy graphic or video editing work, I just need to do some basic adjustments or assembly if I need to - the heavy lifting will be done at home on the desktop later.

Forgot to mention Lightroom, but I can't see that being a problem - it runs fine on my old Dell laptop.

Looks like I'm good to go with this choice. Thanks again.

Charles
I would have said so, there are alternative ultrabooks that pack in much more power but they come with their own trade offs. The XPS is a solid choice.

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I know. Even the XPS15 is better (although way more expensive), but my main concern is weight and size, and after lots of research this seems to be the best value with that in mind.

Last edited:
I know. Even the XPS15 is better (although way more expensive), but my main concern is weight and size, and after lots of research this seems to be the best value with that in mind.
I nearly bought the XPS 15 once, like you I was concerned about size and weight as I would carry it around. I wasn't sure so I bought a 14" laptop instead. I'm not sure what the prices are where you are but the XPS 15 in the UK does have cheaper options similar in price to the 13". If I was buying one I would just get the base model with the Intel Arc A370 GPU and stuff my own RAM and SSD upgrades in it.

If you want something small an light though to put in a backpack then a 13 or 14incher is going to be less noticeable.

Last edited:

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I'm in Toronto Canada. If I compare features, the base 12th Gen is 13th Gen in the XPS15, and the graphics card is upgraded from Intel Iris Xe Graphics to Intel Arc 4370M 4GB. If I keep the rest of the features the same the price is $600 more the weight is 1.62lb heavier and the width and height are both roughly 2 inches bigger. I don't think it's worth it.

XPS 13 $1,750
12th Gen Intel Core i7
Intel Iris Xe Graphics
32 GB
1 TB
13.4" FHD+ 1920 x 1200 60Hz
Height : 0.55 in. (13.99 mm)
Width: 11.63 in. (295.4 mm)
Depth: 7.86 in. (199.4 mm)
Weight (minimum): 2.59 lb (1.17 kg)

XPS 15 $2,400
13th Gen Intel Core i7
Intel Arc 4370M 4GB
32 GB
1 TB
15.6 FHD+ 1920 x 1200
Height : 0.71 in. (18 mm)
Width: 13.57 in. (344.72 mm)
Depth: 9.06 in. (230.14 mm)
Weight: 1.86kg (4.21 lbs.) for FHD+

So what I was suggesting was actually buy the bottom spec XPS 15 with 16GB and 512GB SSD. Then replace the RAM with 32GB and the 512GB SSD with a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo. In the UK doing so would save £400 compared to buying the XPS 15 with 32GB and a 1TB drive. So you'd save £400 and net yourself and extra 1TB storage. That's what I would do myself if I was buying an XPS 15.

However buy the laptop that's right for you, it doesn't matter how powerful the XPS 15 is if it's a burden to carry around. 1.17kg is very light for what the XPS 13 can do, if your carrying it on your back multiple times a week it will feel so much nicer.

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion, but I wouldn't tamper with a brand new laptop buy replacing components right away and then what do I do with the old RAM and SSD? I think I'll stick with my choices. And yes, while travelling I very likely will be carrying the laptop in a backpack all day in some cases.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I wouldn't tamper with a brand new laptop buy replacing components right away and then what do I do with the old RAM and SSD? I think I'll stick with my choices. And yes, while travelling I very likely will be carrying the laptop in a backpack all day in some cases.
That's what I did with my laptop when first got it but I understand wanting to leave it alone. The SSD in such case could be repurposed as an external drive, the RAM wouldn't have much use. You will be happier with the XPS 13 though, stick with what you've got.