[SOLVED] Is there a reason to buy a WiFi extender with better specs than my router?

_Tempo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
I’m planning on buying a WiFi extender (probably TP-link’s RE650). The extender’s specs and internet speed are better than my actual router, so would the extender be able to even get to it’s high speeds or is there no point buying an extender with better specs than my router?

Solution
That is somewhat old information. All powerline run better on the same....they would run best in the same room but that would not be very useful. The newest units tend to have no issues running anyplace in the house. How fast they run is hard to predict but unlike first generation ones like av200 they at least will work.

RealBeast

Titan
I’m planning on buying a WiFi extender (probably TP-link’s RE650). The extender’s specs and internet speed are better than my actual router, so would the extender be able to even get to it’s high speeds or is there no point buying an extender with better specs than my router?
You would be far better off with an AV2-1000 or higher powerline wireless adapter set like THIS as it gets the signal to the distant location through your electrical system and then acts as an access point. A true extender cuts your wireless bandwidth down.

_Tempo

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
You would be far better off with an AV2-1000 or higher powerline wireless adapter set like THIS as it gets the signal to the distant location through your electrical system and then acts as an access point. A true extender cuts your wireless bandwidth down.
I’m aware of Powerline adapters and I was actually considering this exact model. But I’m not sure if the power circuit in my second floor is the same as the bottom floor and I understood that if that’s the case the adapter won’t work.

That is somewhat old information. All powerline run better on the same....they would run best in the same room but that would not be very useful. The newest units tend to have no issues running anyplace in the house. How fast they run is hard to predict but unlike first generation ones like av200 they at least will work.

Solution