zainvojr

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Hello Tom's Hardware community!

My friend has an Intel Core i5-4590S that has been used for more than a year now. It has been running very well until yesterday.

It decided not to boot up my friend's PC, not even POST. So I tried the following diagnostic steps: swapping motherboards, removing the graphics card and using the integrated HDMI port, testing RAM slots... None of them worked.

I took a physical test by leaving the PC on for several minutes then I shut it down. Removed the heatsink and tried to touch the CPU with my bare finger. Neither the CPU nor the heatsink was hot.
I did notice that there was a lot of dust around the CPU heatsink area on the mobo.

What are the chances of the CPU died? And is dust the culprit?

Thank you for reading!

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hello Tom's Hardware community!

My friend has an Intel Core i5-4590S that has been used for more than a year now. It has been running very well until yesterday.

It decided not to boot up my friend's PC, not even POST. So I tried the following diagnostic steps: swapping motherboards, removing the graphics card and using the integrated HDMI port, testing RAM slots... None of them worked.

I took a physical test by leaving the PC on for several minutes then I shut it down. Removed the heatsink and tried to touch the CPU with my bare finger. Neither the CPU nor the heatsink was hot.
I did notice that there was a lot of dust around the CPU heatsink area on the mobo.

What are the chances of the CPU died? And is dust the culprit?

Thank you for reading!

Very rarely does the CPU die, especially when you're not OCing with that chip. If it's a new PSU already then it could be the board but you have swapped a board also? if you have swapped everything except the CPU...then thats what it is...