Question Is this normal for my gpu?

ethan4820k

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
After 6 months of using my new rx 580, I have noticed that the temperatures have gone from a comfortable 60 - 70 degrees to hitting between 77 - 81 degrees celsius in my gaming sessions even with an undervolt, fan curve and a set goal of 70 degrees. Last week when I started to notice the spikes in temperature, I cleaned out my case of any dust I could find, and made sure my rear exhaust and side panel exhaust fan and front intake was all clean. After doing so, nothing changed as mildly expected. So what do I do? Is this safe?

GPU is MSI RX 580 Armor 8GB, running stock

Other specs:
i7 4820k
32gb ddr3 ram

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
The temperature is higher than normal but not dangerously so.
As it used to be a fair bit lower 6 months ago I would carefully check the GPU fan's blades for dust build up and its own rear exhaust.
Give it a good hard blow a few times just using your breath.

Failing that you can carefully disassemble the fan to check for dust along its passageways and re-apply thermal paste to its heatsink to be sure.

There's no real reason other than dust build up/failing thermal paste/failing fan to make its temperature rise.

You can use a hardware monitoring program to check its fan is running flat out under load.
Google search will get you its maximum RPM to compare yours against.

Andy

Jan 9, 2019
Sounds like dust. Give it a shot with canned air. Just dont turn the can upside down and make sure there is no power to the card just in case some ice shoots out.

DeathHadArrived

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
After 6 months of using my new rx 580, I have noticed that the temperatures have gone from a comfortable 60 - 70 degrees to hitting between 77 - 81 degrees celsius in my gaming sessions even with an undervolt, fan curve and a set goal of 70 degrees. Last week when I started to notice the spikes in temperature, I cleaned out my case of any dust I could find, and made sure my rear exhaust and side panel exhaust fan and front intake was all clean. After doing so, nothing changed as mildly expected. So what do I do? Is this safe?

GPU is MSI RX 580 Armor 8GB, running stock

Other specs:
i7 4820k
32gb ddr3 ram
hey, so what type of case your using. Also how much fans you got and what are the specs of those fans

ethan4820k

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
I replaced the thermal paste on the card and saw my temperatures have dropped by 5 degrees. A much better change, which I am happy about, though this is also at full fan speed which is noisy.

ethan4820k

Commendable
Aug 14, 2019
hey, so what type of case your using. Also how much fans you got and what are the specs of those fans
I'm using an old case, a Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene. I'm going to move to a new case soon.

It's a clunky case but it does have a sufficient amount of fans.
It has one 200mm fan at the front which is bringing air into the front of the system, a side panel intake fan which is 200mm (I originally thought it was an exhaust fan until closer inspection) and a 120mm fan on the rear.

I am not too sure on the fan rpm ratings, but I leave them on the high setting on my case.
I also have no clue what model or make these are, I can't seem to find much about them.