Question Issue with PC, possible PSU failing?

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
So, about a week ago, I unhooked everything from my PC (Besides CPU/Heatsink and RAM) and aired out the GPU, Radiator, Fans, PSU, and Case with the compressed air tank we got in our garage. (Was just doing some cleaning because it was very dusty in the places I can't normally reach)

Plugged everything back in, when I hit the power button it didn't work but then it did like 10 minutes later.
Lights on the Motherboard and GPU were on, but the Case nor Motherboard power button did anything.
Lights are on but no one is home moment.

Since the PC was working finally, I just assumed the power needed to cycle or something.

Last night before I shut the PC off, I hear a beep through my headset. I've never heard it beep before in this exact situation. Just a single beep through the headset, nothing that sounded like a BIOS code.

(Every night I have the PC turn itself off through a custom command line because I like to listen to stuff as I lay down to help me relax, and then let the PC just turn itself off after 20 minutes)

Went to turn the PC on today and nothing, another lights are on no one is home moment. Took everything out (again, besides CPU/Heatsink and RAM), every cable was checked but I didn't see any damage. I even replaced the CR2032 battery, mine was apparently dead but I did not get any BIOS beeps prior. Sprayed CRC electronics cleaner in the cables and the Mobo connections then let it dry and re-hooked everything. Nothing.

Even with the GPU out, and one RAM stick in. I decided to swap the RAM stick to the other channel, and magically it turned on. I turn the PC off, plug everything back in, and it won't turn on again.

I mess around with all the cables, reseat the ram twice and make sure everything is reconnected once more, and it powers on again. Currently running fine and the BIOS settings I believe were reset to default.

Is this a sign my PSU is dying?

Motherboard: ASUS Hero VII
PSU: Corsair RM750
GPU: Asus Strix 980TI
RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333hz

Reactions: Order 66

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build?

If you want to rule out your PSU as the issue, you should source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU to power your entire build, from a friend or neighbor.

Maximus or Crosshair?

Are you sure about the sticks of ram on your build?

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
How old is the PSU in your build?

If you want to rule out your PSU as the issue, you should source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU to power your entire build, from a friend or neighbor.

Maximus or Crosshair?

Are you sure about the sticks of ram on your build?
I don't remember the exact age, but I built the PC around 8-10yrs ago, so around there.

Sadly no neighbors, I could try buying one and returning. Considering the holidays are near a lot of places have returns.

Ah, sorry it's a Maximus Hero VII
Also my CPU is an i7 4790k, forgot to mention.

And yes, I have 2 sticks of 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333hz speed.

My PC is pretty much all old parts ranging around 8-10years old.

Edit: Other than the AIO cooler for my CPU cuz the old one died. And some fans.

Blackink

Distinguished
I don't remember the exact age, but I built the PC around 8-10yrs ago, so around there.

Sadly no neighbors, I could try buying one and returning. Considering the holidays are near a lot of places have returns.

Ah, sorry it's a Maximus Hero VII
Also my CPU is an i7 4790k, forgot to mention.

And yes, I have 2 sticks of 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333hz speed.

My PC is pretty much all old parts ranging around 8-10years old.

Edit: Other than the AIO cooler for my CPU cuz the old one died. And some fans.
Wow, 8-10 years old! If that Corsair RM750 is the correct PSU, it has a 10 year warranty. You're probably due for a new one anyway.

My son gave me his homebuilt PC a couple of years ago. It was 5 years + 6months old. It stopped working. I brought it to a PC repair shop and for $30 and 30 minutes later, they diagnosed it was the PSU.

I purchased a new one and I was up and running.
The warranty on the old PSU.....5 years!!

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Wow, 8-10 years old! If that Corsair RM750 is the correct PSU, it has a 10 year warranty. You're probably due for a new one anyway.

My son gave me his homebuilt PC a couple of years ago. It was 5 years + 6months old. It stopped working. I brought it to a PC repair shop and for $30 and 30 minutes later, they diagnosed it was the PSU.

I purchased a new one and I was up and running.
The warranty on the old PSU.....5 years!!
I'll try reaching out to Corsair.
For anyone with experience with that, do you know if they do express RMAs for PSU?
To send the new one to me first and then I send the old one back. Would like to have a functioning PC inbetween shipping if possible lol. (As functioning as it is currently at least)

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
I hadn't reached out to Corsair yet, but it did happen again this morning.

I took out one RAM stick which felt like it may have not been seated all the way, but that didn't do anything when I went to turn the PC on again.

I unplugged everything from the PC, including the power cable, and turned my Surge Protector off then on, and that seemed to have worked.
Note: I have plugged my PC's power cable directly into the wall and that did not work previously.

We still thinking this could be the PSU causing the issue?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Does the air tank in your garage have a water/oil filter inline?

When a compressor fills, it is also pulling in water due to humidity. After a while, and even when you regularly drain the tank, the tank and lines will have residual water in them. If you don't have that filter you may have hit something with water.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Does the air tank in your garage have a water/oil filter inline?

When a compressor fills, it is also pulling in water due to humidity. After a while, and even when you regularly drain the tank, the tank and lines will have residual water in them. If you don't have that filter you may have hit something with water.
I think it only comes with an air filter, but I have never noticed any humid or wet air when using it.

For anyone who knows more about it than I do, it's:
21 gallon 2.5 HP 125 PSI Cast Iron Vertical Air Compressor
from Central Pneumatic. Item#61454.

That said, the PC does seem to run after a bit of plugging things in and out of it.
Once it starts it doesn't seem to have much issues, and it's not every time it turns off where it has issue either.

I used the air compressor over a week ago, I imagine if anything got wet, it'd be dry by now and not cause too much of an issue--Or if it did, a much more noticeable issue?

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Minor update:
I've reached out to Corsair Support now, I am crossing my fingers because the warranty was apparently only 5 years. It's been 10 years since I bought the PSU, but we'll see--maybe Corsair values that I've been a loyal customer for a decade.

In terms of the PC itself, it seems every time I turn the PC off it will not turn back on unless I remove all the cables from the back, including the power cable, reseat the RAM, and flick with the power switch on the PSU back and forth a few times, and sometimes the surge protector button as well.

Starting to think to just not turn my PC off for now or try sleep mode instead of shutdown.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Update on support:

I got pushed to a supervisor who gave me a "Your warranty expired we can't help you" so I guess that's that lol.

Can we say for certain that the PSU is my issue? Is there any other issues these symptoms would point to?

To recap:
My PC does not startup in the morning (or to be more exact, when it's turned off).

I basically need to jumpstart my PC by unplugging everything from the back of the motherboard, reseat my RAM (taking it out swapping which went where, and which slots they went into), and unplugging the power cord/flipping the switch to the PSU over and over until the PC finally starts.

Once the PC starts, I have no issues, it runs like it usually does until I turn the PC off at night. My PC still picks up on the 16gb (2 sticks) of RAM so I don't think it has to do with the RAM. I've also tried plugging the PC directly into a different outlet and it still didn't start.