baileyboy125

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
I recently purchased a 512GB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe SSD from amazon. I tried cloning my older 240GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SATA SSD but Samsung Magician kept failing due to 400110[061aee]. I tried fixing it using the steps it provided but nothing worked so I eventually just used Macrium Reflect Free and that worked fine. But I've been having issues with it ever since. These include: Slow load times, explorer.exe crashes, freezes, lagging file explorer, broken programs (such as Microsoft office), missing text on programs and desktop, whatever this is, items not being copied to clipboard, other clipboard issues, inconsistent read/write performance (CrystalDiskMark, AS SSD, Samsung Magician, UserBenchmark) as well as a variety of other smaller issues that I cant really remember.

Things I've tried:
  • Rebooting multiple times
  • Checking drive health in CrystalDiskInfo and Samsung Magician (both fine)
  • Installed Samsung NVMe driver
  • Going into BIOS and checking the boot order and trying to see if the drive is set to the right mode (couldn't find much)
  • Reinstalled Windows using the MediaCreationTool
  • Ran chkdsk command (No issues found)
  • Ran chkdsk /f as well but that did nothing to fix this either.
System Spec:
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • AMD Ryzen TR 1920X
  • Gigabyte X399 Designare EX MOBO
  • Corsair H150i Pro water cooler
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @3200MHz
  • NVIDIA GTX 1070 OC @ +75MHz core & +500MHz mem
  • Corsair RM1000x 1000W PSU
  • Other Drives:
    • SanDisk SDSSDHP256G Ultra Plus SATA SSD 240GB
    • Seagate ST1000DM003 SATA HDD 1TB
    • Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD 1TB
I don't really know what do to now. I still have the old drive that I cloned from with all the data still on it and that does not have the issues this new drive is having other than the slight minor issues that I was already having.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Just to be sure:

You have a total of four drives installed (Samsung NVMe 512GB plus the other three listed under "Other Drives)?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance especially with respect to the Samsung NVMe SSD.

Reliability History and Event Viewer may provide some additional information with respect to error codes and warnings.

Work with only the Samsung NVMe SSD installed. See how that goes. Then add in the other drives one at a time.

And what about the overclocking: try rolling back and determine if stability improves.

Overall, you have a number of ways to troubleshoot the issues. Key is to be methodical and change only one thing at a time.

Find a baseline configuration where the system is stable and performing well. Then work upwards - at some point, if the problems reoccur then that is most likely the maximum for performance and stability.

baileyboy125

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
Just to be sure:

You have a total of four drives installed (Samsung NVMe 512GB plus the other three listed under "Other Drives)?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance especially with respect to the Samsung NVMe SSD.

Reliability History and Event Viewer may provide some additional information with respect to error codes and warnings.

Work with only the Samsung NVMe SSD installed. See how that goes. Then add in the other drives one at a time.

And what about the overclocking: try rolling back and determine if stability improves.

Overall, you have a number of ways to troubleshoot the issues. Key is to be methodical and change only one thing at a time.

Find a baseline configuration where the system is stable and performing well. Then work upwards - at some point, if the problems reoccur then that is most likely the maximum for performance and stability.

Hi, yes those are the only 4 drives in my computer. Using task manager and resource monitor doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. The overclocking was done quite a while ago on my old drive with no issues, but I had re-enabled it on this drive, which I've now reset back to the default settings with no improvement to system performance. I'm not really sure what to look for in Event Viewer, but in Reliability History is shows a few apps that had crashed due to 'AppHang', other than that not much information. I tried disconnecting the other 3 drives but I'm still having the same issues.

baileyboy125

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
Are you sure, cloning was done properly?
awB6q4x.png

(Currently back on my old SSD) The unallocated section was from over a year ago when I had issues with a different drive

Ralston18

Titan
The first Disk Management image with respect to Drive 0 shows a C: drive

The second Disk Management image with respect to Drive 0 shows a G: drive. C: is now at Drive 3.

I think you are running into SATA and NVMe port assignment conflicts.

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual? Check the supported configurations.

And did you assign drive letters to any of the drives?

baileyboy125

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
The first Disk Management image with respect to Drive 0 shows a C: drive

The second Disk Management image with respect to Drive 0 shows a G: drive. C: is now at Drive 3.

I think you are running into SATA and NVMe port assignment conflicts.

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual? Check the supported configurations.

And did you assign drive letters to any of the drives?
I assigned drive D manually and E drive has always been E drive. I can change the boot order in BIOS though.

EDIT: Boot order was already correct. I dont know why the disk order is out of place

The drive has gotten so slow I couldn't even load the image, or web pages would take a couple minutes to load and I couldn't edit this message because nothing would happen when I clicked edit.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Hold on making any changes for the time being.

Need to go a bit further with respect to discovering what has gone astray.

For example: @SkyNetRising may have noted something else and interim changes will just take any on going troubleshooting off track.

Does the following link present the User Manual for your Motherboard?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x399-designare-ex_e.pdf

What you can do is review the User Manual and compare your settings/configuration accordingly.

Determine if there are some other possible reasons for the drive issues.

baileyboy125

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
Hold on making any changes for the time being.

Need to go a bit further with respect to discovering what has gone astray.

For example: @SkyNetRising may have noted something else and interim changes will just take any on going troubleshooting off track.

Does the following link present the User Manual for your Motherboard?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x399-designare-ex_e.pdf

What you can do is review the User Manual and compare your settings/configuration accordingly.

Determine if there are some other possible reasons for the drive issues.
Not too sure as I can’t open it. I do however have the physical user’s manual that came with the motherboard. I’ve gone through the full BIOS section and everything matches with what the manual is saying.

Also, the drive has become so laggy that it’s now unusable and I’ve had to go back to my old Sandisk one.

baileyboy125

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
I didn't see any problem in those screenshots.
One thing that might impact benchmarks, when booting from 500GB drive, pagefile is on the same drive as OS. Check pagefile settings.
On default with 32GB of ram, pagefile probably is way too large.
Here is the current page files or my drives. The Samsung has a 'System managed' paging file size whereas the others have none.

BKiFHny.png

baileyboy125

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2015
32GB in pagefile is obviously too much.
Set it to 1GB initial , 30GB max. It will probably never grow past initial size.
Should I set each drive to this or just the Samsung one?

EDIT: So I just did the Samsung one and it's already feeling much faster and it's actually usable now. Thank you SkyNetRising. Although for some reason when I right-click things the cursor turns to the blue loading circle and it takes like 5 seconds or so to bring the drop down menu.

EDIT2: I was checking the Event Viewer whilst right-clicking then refreshing the viewer to check for errors and every time I right-clicked there was a new error that was caused by one of the programs I had installed. I uninstalled it and now the drop down menu is instant.
There is another issue that keeps popping up every second or every minute:
B7MvqEt.png

EDIT3: Stopped Diagnostic Policy Service, deleted SRUDB.dat then restarted DPS. Issue seems to have stopped.

Last edited: