Question It's normal having 54 C degrees on idle? i5 9600kf

Jan 11, 2020
Hi everyone. I have an i5 9600kf with Corsair h100i v2 and on idle I get 55 C degrees and playing games like CoD MW or Apex gets up to 69 C degrees. Is that normal? I haven't OC the processor.
The thermal paste I use is Cooler Master essential e2
Thanks
corsair-temps.png

CompuTronix

Intel Master
i5 9600kf ... Corsair h100i v2 ... idle ... 55 C degrees ... Is that normal?

In a word, no. It's common for users to think that a light workload is their "idle".

What is your ambient temperature?

Is "idle" really idle? Probably not.

What is your % CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager at "idle"?

Here's the definition: "idle" is minimum activity at 1% CPU Utilization. This means SpeedStep, Speed Shift, C States all power saving features enable in BIOS, and undisturbed in Windows with "hands off". Windows Power Options set to "Balanced", no programs or screen saver running, and off line. No Folding or SETI or DropBox or "tray-trash" running in the background, and just 1% CPU Utilization under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager.

If you're really at "idle" then here's what it should look like:

9i9v2dm.jpg

Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive spiking can be disabled.

CT :sol:

Jan 11, 2020
In a word, no. It's common for users to think that a light workload is their "idle".

What is your ambient temperature?

Is "idle" really idle? Probably not.

What is your % CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager at "idle"?

Here's the definition: "idle" is minimum activity at 1% CPU Utilization. This means SpeedStep, Speed Shift, C States all power saving features enable in BIOS, and undisturbed in Windows with "hands off". Windows Power Options set to "Balanced", no programs or screen saver running, and off line. No Folding or SETI or DropBox or "tray-trash" running in the background, and just 1% CPU Utilization under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager.

If you're really at "idle" then here's what it should look like:

9i9v2dm.jpg

Since Windows has dozens of Processes and Services running in the background, it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive spiking can be disabled.

CT :sol:

As it appears in the first image, it only has 2% load and has that temperature.
There is no application running in the background. The ambient temperature is very low

Jan 11, 2020
Turn up your pump speed it way to low.

And for some reason your fan speed is showing 0 rpm.
Did you connect the fans to the y'd wire with 2 fan connections coming from the pump.?
Yes, for some reason it appears like this but I can still control the speed with the application. The cables are connected to the pump cables

Click on the pump.
Then change it from quite to performance
Then apply and ok and the pump speed will increase.
Don't worry you won't hear the pump.
Now fan speeds are a different story as far as hearing noise.

There are different levels for fan speeds,
Try finding what is good for you and what is good for the cpu temps.
Performance is a good place to start on the fan speed.
As cpu temps increase so will the fans as needed.
It takes some time and testing/stressing to get the custom curve set.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020
Click on the pump.
Then change it from quite to performance
Then apply and ok and the pump speed will increase.
Don't worry you won't hear the pump.
Now fan speeds are a different story as far as hearing noise.

There are different levels for fan speeds,
Try finding what is good for you and what is good for the cpu temps.
Performance is a good place to start on the fan speed.
As cpu temps increase so will the fans as needed.
It takes some time and testing/stressing to get the custom curve set.

Yesterday I turned off the PC for a few hours and when I turned it on the temperature was 45 C degrees. Then I changed the pump speed to performance and now the temperature is 41 C degrees