[SOLVED] Just Mainboard and CPU upgrade .

MadGamerG90

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
Good day ,
Since my CPU stopped working , I figured its time for an upgrade. But my GPU (GTX 970 4GB OC) , RAM (Corsair Vengeance 8gb ddr3 1666mhz) and rest of parts other than CPU works fine so would it be ok if i just replace my mainboard with Gigabyte Aorus x470 ultra gaming and a Ryzen 7 3700x . Will rest of the part work properly with these two upgrade ? Or should i ugrade everything ? Thanks in Advance.

Solution
Well my recollection is the Thunder isn't a great PSU, so depending on how long you've had it, you might want to consider upgrading it sooner rather than later.

I recently come off the 4th gen intel platform, in reality, you could bump up to an i7 of the same era, say a 4770 or a 4790K however for the price, you are much better probably investing more and moving to a new platform. If you did go say a 4790K for example you'd just need to ensure your BIOS is updated in case.

PSUs, storage drives, GPU are basically interchangeable, so if you went to a new platform, you'd just need CPU, MB, and RAM. Just be wary of the PSU depending on it's age, all PSUs have a shelf life, especially budget line ones.

MadGamerG90

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014
Unfortunately no, the latest platforms also require DDR4 so if you upgrade, you will have to upgrade this too.
Best off on an overall upgrade depending on what you current system is.

What is your full system spec including PSU make and model?
CPU = i5 4690 (not K)
GPU = Asus Strix GTX 970 4gb OC
RAM = Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1666mhz ddr3
HDD = Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU = Cooler Master Thunder 600w
Mainboard = Asus b85m-g
What if i change mainboard , cpu , ram and psu ? Will the rest (hdd and gpu) work fine with cpu and mainboard ?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well my recollection is the Thunder isn't a great PSU, so depending on how long you've had it, you might want to consider upgrading it sooner rather than later.

I recently come off the 4th gen intel platform, in reality, you could bump up to an i7 of the same era, say a 4770 or a 4790K however for the price, you are much better probably investing more and moving to a new platform. If you did go say a 4790K for example you'd just need to ensure your BIOS is updated in case.

PSUs, storage drives, GPU are basically interchangeable, so if you went to a new platform, you'd just need CPU, MB, and RAM. Just be wary of the PSU depending on it's age, all PSUs have a shelf life, especially budget line ones.

Reactions: MadGamerG90
Solution

MadGamerG90

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

Thank you , this helps a lot although im wondering if my new cpu ryzen 7 3700x bottleneck my old gtx 970 or vice versa.

Last edited: