Question Just reinstalled Windows after blue screen of death. I have two drives. I had to clean both. However, I can not create any volumes or format my NVME d

May 8, 2022
Quick breakdown.
Important info: I have 2 drives. A 1TB Samsung 970 NVME .m2 drive and a WD 500GB m2 drive.
Background

1. Computer blue screened out of nowhere.
  2. Tried all day to fix BCD error on bluescreen of death to no avail. (Created a Windows USB bootable drive to troubleshoot with and use Command Prompt (disk part).
  3. Ended up purchasing AOMEI partition manager which enables you use a special USB bootable software to try and achieve a potential fix. didn't work.
4.I then decided to just backup my drives and do a reinstall of Windows. I purchased AOME backupper to backup my drives while at the blue screen of death. (it creates a special USB bootable software like their partition manager).
5.I then again used the Windows USB bootable drive to install Windows.
Here I had to use diskpart to clean disks to then make a disk available for install. Apparently, I can NOT format my Samsung 1TB NVME m2 drive or install Windows on it. It has a strange discrepancy that although it states: "Read Only: No", Current Read-Only State is set to Yes. Can NOT clear this attribute in diskpart.
That's fine though. I created a 200 GB partition on my WD 500 GB m2 drive for windows to be installed on Windows installed successfully.
Now
Using Windows Disk Management, I have partitioned the rest of the unallocated space on my WD drive and labeled it E. (I right clicked the unallocated space and used the Make Simple Volume.
So I have my C and E drive on my WD drive.
Problem
My Samsung 1TB drive was not showing up in disk management. I used diskpart in Command Prompt to clean the disk again. Refreshed Disk Management, and it is now showing up. BUT, when I right click the disk, all of the options are disabled.
Should I try and make a partition using diskpart? Formatting the disk using diskpart didn't work (yesterday when attempting to install windows on that drive) so I'm not sure that would either but maybe. If so, how big should I make the drive if I want to have access to all of it (it's 931.51 GB). I would really like to use the Make Simple Volume because I don't have faith in me manually creating the partition.
I don't want to have my computer fail on me again. I do a lot of work and have projects so this has been a huge hassle.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Screenshots:
View: https://imgur.com/a/IF9vXFd

View: https://imgur.com/a/0MFVeDf

Last edited:
What drive was your boot drive before the time of the first blue screen....when everything was OK?

What is the history of the Samsung 1 TB?.....boot drive only? Data drive only? Any operating systems on it other than Windows? Worked fine as a boot drive for months?

May 8, 2022
What drive was your boot drive before the time of the first blue screen....when everything was OK?

What is the history of the Samsung 1 TB?.....boot drive only? Data drive only? Any operating systems on it other than Windows? Worked fine as a boot drive for months?
I bought the custom pc built by NZXT mid last year (2021). They installed Windows on the WD 500 GB Drive. I was upset because I wanted the larger samsung 1TB drive to be my C drive. I remember contemplating whether I should change that the week I received the computer, but I cant remember doing that . And if I did, maybe that is why I ran into this problem months down the line. I probably messed something up.

There were no other OS installed other than windows though. Worked for months and months perfectly fine. I used the PC for programming and game development.

thanks btw for responding. Very eager here. Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
If I understand you correctly.........

It could be that the 1 TB Samsung has NEVER HAD ANYTHING on it.

You say only "contemplating" changing the boot drive from WD to Samsung.

And "can't remember doing that".

So, for all you know, the Samsung is absolutely unused?

May 8, 2022
Samsung 980 - seems to have locked itself.
Install samsung magician and diagnose your samsung drive. Show screenshots.

Try performing secure erase on the drive.
If that doesn't work, then you may need to RMA the drive (if it's still under warranty).
I will try the samsung magician and report back. Thank you! I didnt know about that

May 8, 2022
If I understand you correctly.........

It could be that the 1 TB Samsung has NEVER HAD ANYTHING on it.

You say only "contemplating" changing the boot drive from WD to Samsung.

And "can't remember doing that".

So, for all you know, the Samsung is absolutely unused?
I was absolutely using it as a storage device for sure. I was using over half the drives space and my WD before the crash

May 8, 2022
Not sure what is going on....

I think you could also do a "secure erase" from Samsung Magician. Not sure if that would help.

Or a "clean all" from Diskpart.

EDIT: . Actually I got the secure erase to successfully create a bootable usb. The secure erase didnt find any supported SSD FOR secure erase…

end if EDIT

secure erase fails at the create usb bootable phase

View: https://imgur.com/a/l3yceRI

Last edited:
I created a 200 GB partition on my WD 500 GB m2 drive for windows to be installed on Windows installed successfully.
Was the Samsung drive still installed at the time you reinstalled Windows? The Windows installer may have problems if there is more than 1 drive present at installation time and its advisable to only have 1. If the Samsung drive was present Windows might not have been installed correctly and this may be related to your later problems. If it is possible to temporarily remove the Samsung drive you could then determine if Windows performs correctly with just the WD drive; if not you may have to reinstall Windows.

Other alternate possibilities: if these are strictly Windows problems you could try booting from a usb containing a linux distro (e.g. linuxmint mate or ubuntu mate) and see if that will give you access to the files on your Samsung drive so that you would move them off to another location. You could also use the Gparted app contained in most distros to see if there are any hidden partitions on the Samsung drive which could be related to your later problems. You will then have to decide about removing the hidden partitions to see if that allows you to recover the remainder of the Samsung drive which may include creating a new GPT partition identifier. If successful you could then try disconnecting your WD and installing Windows on the Samsung as you originally wanted or just formatting it for storage again.