Oct 29, 2020
Hey, I have a Varmilo VA88M keyboard, i've had it for a few months without any problems, but now, yesterday, from nowhere, my keyboard started acting weird, so basically, Alt is Switched to WIN, When pressing down WIN, both CTRL and ALT is pressed down. FN doesn't work. rgb light strength key which before was FN + UP-key is now F6 and F5 to lower the strength. I have tried removing the keyboard completely by removing the drivers, i tried going into bios to change the inverted FN key but in my bios i can't find keyboard settings. It's ASUS bios btw, I have tried resetting the keyboard by pressing FN + ESC for a few seconds, nothing happened. Please help.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Hey, I have a Varmilo VA88M keyboard, i've had it for a few months without any problems, but now, yesterday, from nowhere, my keyboard started acting weird, so basically, Alt is Switched to WIN, When pressing down WIN, both CTRL and ALT is pressed down. FN doesn't work. rgb light strength key which before was FN + UP-key is now F6 and F5 to lower the strength. I have tried removing the keyboard completely by removing the drivers, i tried going into bios to change the inverted FN key but in my bios i can't find keyboard settings. It's ASUS bios btw, I have tried resetting the keyboard by pressing FN + ESC for a few seconds, nothing happened. Please help.
Hi from the reviews of this keyboard it seems like a promising keyboard. Before anything, is it possible for you to try and connect the keyboard to another system, or a laptop, or even using USB OTG to an Android device, like a tablet or a phone, to see if the keys work there just fine?

If you connect the keyboard to another machine or device and it is still acting up then there is a problem with your keyboard. I don't have it, I don't know what technology it is using for the keys, but It is possible that there is a loose wire or misplaced connection or dirt somewhere. If it still has a warranty try that before opening it up yourself, but if you know what you are doing and want to try your chances, open it up, have a look at connections wires, the surface, try using a multimeter looking for damaged connections or wires.
It would be very helpful if you could take pictures after you have opened it and post them here for the reference of people who have it if they might find themselves in a similar situation and want to repair it themselves.

But if it works just fine on other machines, then it is possible there is something wrong with your drivers on this particular machine, since you have tried removing and uninstalling the driver for this keyboard, try also uninstalling USB drivers and restarting the system.
Do not do this on your machine if you have a history of malfunctioning USB3 devices and or it is hard for you to get USBs to work. Because this action would remove USB drivers.

Hope this helps in someway.

Oct 29, 2020
Hi from the reviews of this keyboard it seems like a promising keyboard. Before anything, is it possible for you to try and connect the keyboard to another system, or a laptop, or even using USB OTG to an Android device, like a tablet or a phone, to see if the keys work there just fine?

If you connect the keyboard to another machine or device and it is still acting up then there is a problem with your keyboard. I don't have it, I don't know what technology it is using for the keys, but It is possible that there is a loose wire or misplaced connection or dirt somewhere. If it still has a warranty try that before opening it up yourself, but if you know what you are doing and want to try your chances, open it up, have a look at connections wires, the surface, try using a multimeter looking for damaged connections or wires.
It would be very helpful if you could take pictures after you have opened it and post them here for the reference of people who have it if they might find themselves in a similar situation and want to repair it themselves.

But if it works just fine on other machines, then it is possible there is something wrong with your drivers on this particular machine, since you have tried removing and uninstalling the driver for this keyboard, try also uninstalling USB drivers and restarting the system.
Do not do this on your machine if you have a history of malfunctioning USB3 devices and or it is hard for you to get USBs to work. Because this action would remove USB drivers.

Hope this helps in someway.
I highly doubt that the keyboard is broken, and i had a similiar problem a while ago but then i could fix it by holding FN and pressing ESC for a few seconds, it doesn't work this time. I have tried it in another computer and it's the same since it's not settings on the computer, it's settings that are set for the keyboard.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
I highly doubt that the keyboard is broken, and i had a similiar problem a while ago but then i could fix it by holding FN and pressing ESC for a few seconds, it doesn't work this time. I have tried it in another computer and it's the same since it's not settings on the computer, it's settings that are set for the keyboard.
Well then since it is not working when you connect it to other systems, try looking for a reset button if any, or if there is a battery (since I have never seen this model before while again it looks very cool) try taking out the batteries. If a driver or a cd or software comes for this keyboard try installing it and then see if you can reset it using that software. Also if none of these methods work, again if the warranty is expired or if you don't care, try opening it up and see what's the deal internally.

Oct 29, 2020
Well then since it is not working when you connect it to other systems, try looking for a reset button if any, or if there is a battery (since I have never seen this model before while again it looks very cool) try taking out the batteries. If a driver or a cd or software comes for this keyboard try installing it and then see if you can reset it using that software. Also if none of these methods work, again if the warranty is expired or if you don't care, try opening it up and see what's the deal internally.
There is no battery since it's not wireless, the way to reset it is hold FN and press ESC for a few seconds like i said before :( I didn't buy it off of varmilo but i'll go see if the warrenty hasn't expired and if that's the case, i'll go order a new one, thanks for your assist. Also i have tried reinstalling the drivers by removing the keyboard from device manager, didn't help, and there is no program to this specific model.

Oct 29, 2020
There is no battery since it's not wireless, the way to reset it is hold FN and press ESC for a few seconds like i said before :( I didn't buy it off of varmilo but i'll go see if the warrenty hasn't expired and if that's the case, i'll go order a new one, thanks for your assist. Also i have tried reinstalling the drivers by removing the keyboard from device manager, didn't help, and there is no program to this specific model.
Thanks again for the help!

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks again for the help!
Do you have the tools to open it up? and take a look inside? to see if the wires are not loose, or not shorted where they are not supposed to? or if they are not secretly cut but look they are connected? do you have a multimeter handy?
If no warranty, then open it up and take a look inside. Try and see if you can inspect it at least finding anything weird or odd looking. especially around the space key and the ctr alt and win keys.
before opening it disconnect it from the devices.

Oct 29, 2020
Do you have the tools to open it up? and take a look inside? to see if the wires are not loose, or not shorted where they are not supposed to? or if they are not secretly cut but look they are connected? do you have a multimeter handy?
If no warranty, then open it up and take a look inside. Try and see if you can inspect it at least finding anything weird or odd looking. especially around the space key and the ctr alt and win keys.
before opening it disconnect it from the devices.
Warranty still active!