[SOLVED] Kingdian 1TB SSD NVMe not being recognized - tested in 2 diff new builds

bomcalca

Honorable
Jul 13, 2018
In April 2021 I acquired the following NVME storage from Aliexpress to Brazil:
KingDian M.2 NVME SSD 128GB 256GB 512GB 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Internal Solid State Drives For Laptop

It arrived in good state and was promptly working in my 2016 motherboard desktop build. (GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD (Rev. 2.0) - W10)

In December 2021 I travelled overseas so I wanted to take only the NVME with me, I put it inside a small case and the hand backup to bring with me in the airplane.

In January I acquired a brand new laptop (ASUS FX506HM - W10-W11) in Spain and proceed inserting the Kingdian, but it was not recognized anymore.
I also tested it in my friend's desktop build (Don't know his specs) and it was not recognized.
I tested a different NVME (Don'tknow the brand) and it was instantly recognize in my Laptop and his Desktop.

I checked already some configuration in my BIOS without sucess from googling.
I also tried checking disk management/partitions from windows but only the main SSD is listed there.

I saw on the internet that the drive is just plain dead and there is nothing to do.
But I like the idea that -almost- everything is possible.
So before considering it is just dead, is there anything I did not try or should try? Either software wise or hardware wise (applying special products to try ressurecting it).

Thank you!

Solution
KingDian M.2 NVME SSD 128GB 256GB 512GB 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Internal Solid State Drives For Laptop
If it is not recognized in multiple systems, it is likely dead.

Being only a year old, I would say warranty.

But....aliexpress...

And KingDian is not a well respected or reliable "brand".

USAFRet

Titan
If it is not recognized in multiple systems, it is likely dead.

Being only a year old, I would say warranty.

But....aliexpress...

And KingDian is not a well respected or reliable "brand".

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, how did you operate with the drive while on the Gigabyte motherboard listed above in your thread body(GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P , rev 2.0)? I tend to stay away from storage drives like the one you have since they lack any form of after sales support, i.e, firmware updates or even warranty...well if you can send it to them, it'll cost just as much as the drive itself.

Got a link to the SSD you purchased off of Aliexpress?

bomcalca

Honorable
Jul 13, 2018
Out of curiosity, how did you operate with the drive while on the Gigabyte motherboard listed above in your thread body(GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P , rev 2.0)? I tend to stay away from storage drives like the one you have since they lack any form of after sales support, i.e, firmware updates or even warranty...well if you can send it to them, it'll cost just as much as the drive itself.

Got a link to the SSD you purchased off of Aliexpress?
I put my fingers on the sides to hold it and if I had to touch its surface, if needed I would touch the upper part because there is a kind of plastic or paper that protects the chip.
The link in Aliexpress is the following: https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32955472430.html

I literally operated it two times ever, once to use it in my old pc, and another to remove and take away for my travel to the new country. Did not think that nvmes could be so sensible like that. And I was handling it with care.

I put my fingers on the sides to hold it and if I had to touch its surface, if needed I would touch the upper part because there is a kind of plastic or paper that protects the chip.
The link in Aliexpress is the following: https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32955472430.html

I literally operated it two times ever, once to use it in my old pc, and another to remove and take away for my travel to the new country. Did not think that nvmes could be so sensible like that. And I was handling it with care.
How was it even used with the GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P mainboard? (I can find no reference to an M.2 NVME slot) Or were you using a PCI-e adapter ?

bomcalca

Honorable
Jul 13, 2018
How was it even used with the GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P mainboard? (I can find no reference to an M.2 NVME slot) Or were you using a PCI-e adapter ?
I had the same question when I was considering buying it. Talking to my friend gave me courage as he told me it would fit the slot I had available.
Turns out he was right, it fit correctly into the socket and it worked... now don't ask me how because I'm not experienced in the matter. :LOL:

So should I close this? Another friend told me before considering it dead I should at least try applying some special products that in some cases "ressurects" the drive.
But I did not pay attention as of the details. If that is true I will consult him again.
Also any other test I should try considering my original post? I am fine accepting that somehow I killed it or the brand is not good as they said in the thread. I will give more 2 days to close this.

Thank you everyone involved.