groovex

Reputable
Nov 18, 2018
Good evening! Just recently bought a Kingston A400 SSD. Install it. Everything works. After several days of use i wanted to check this drive in SSDLife, but this program does not display full information about how much total host written or written last day (last 7 days). CrystalDiskInfo and King Manager do not show this information either. Tell me, is it possible in any way at all to know how much written my SSD drive for a day or a week? Are there any other programs?

USAFRet

Titan
CrystalDiskInfo can probably do this for total writes.

This, for one of my SSD's
N1gF7hh.jpg

The Kingston SSD Managed does not show this?

I don't know of anything that shows "in the last 7 days".

Interestingly I think that is normal behavior for that drive.
I have a Kingston A400 SSD and have used it happily for about 6 months. CrystalDiskInfo is also unable to identify a health status nor total host reads or writes. It can find drive temperature and power on time.
My other HP SSD and Samsung HDD are identified by the software perfectly.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Su9sVDM

Reactions: groovex

USAFRet

Titan
Interestingly I think that is normal behavior for that drive.
I have a Kingston A400 SSD and have used it happily for about 6 months. CrystalDiskInfo is also unable to identify a health status nor total host reads or writes. It can find drive temperature and power on time.
My other HP SSD and Samsung HDD are identified by the software perfectly.
Interesting.
Oh well...just use it until it dies. (sometime in the next decade or two)

groovex

Reputable
Nov 18, 2018
CrystalDiskInfo can probably do this for total writes.

This, for one of my SSD's
N1gF7hh.jpg

The Kingston SSD Managed does not show this?

I don't know of anything that shows "in the last 7 days".
Here are screenshots of my SSD from CrystalDiskInfo
NAkhXK6.jpg

As you can see I have no information in Total Host Reads and Total Host Writes (same in the picture remixislandmusic). In SSDLife, too, no information about it. And Kingston SSD Manager not show this (only show % of lifespean-wear indicator).😕 So I don't know how much a day or a week reads and writtens.

I have one more question. Can I move the Paging file on the SSD? I have only 6GB of RAM and sometimes it is not enough if I run heavy applications. The Swap file at me costs on an old HDD with 5400rpm (on a screenshot which I laid out it at the left in a tab). I was thinking of placing on an SSD about a 5gb swap File. That would have been enough. On the Internet, some say that there is nothing wrong with this, others argue that it is very worn out drive. I would like to hear your opinion.

groovex

Reputable
Nov 18, 2018
Its apparent that Kingston does not wish to expose that data.
Oh well.

Pagefile?
Given a 120GB drive, I probably wouldn't, simply for space reasons.
I'm not worried about free space. In the future, I want to buy more RAM and another SSD for 240 gigabytes or 420. Can you tell me, if do not think about the free space, how much wear the disk, If place a Swap File on an SSD with a fixed value.

SSDs don't wear out as quickly as an HDD. Most systems using an SSD automatically have a dynamically allocated page file on the SSD. The wear on the drive depends on how much you run out of ram and have to use a page file.

Yes, you can change the drive the page file is on. Likely the page file is on your boot drive as it is automatically managed by Windows, however, you can double check.
Navigate to here: Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory. There you can change the boot drive and amount of virtual memory.

View: https://imgur.com/yJ52PxZ

Reactions: groovex

groovex

Reputable
Nov 18, 2018
Don't worry about the drive wear either. Many systems today are SSD only, so they only option is the pagefile on an SSD.
My OS is installed on HDD. In the future, when I buy another SSD, I will probably move it there. Let's see. Maybe not.

Due to the fact that I can't see total host reads and total host writes on SSD, I can't determine how many resources a Swap File can eat. 😕

USAFRet

Titan
Due to the fact that I can't see total host reads and total host writes on SSD, I can't determine how many resources a Swap File can eat. 😕
Don't worry about it. The drive will work, right up until the moment it doesn't.

In terms of TBW, current consumer level drives can last years in typical usage. Too many write cycles is not really a consideration.

groovex

Reputable
Nov 18, 2018
SSDs don't wear out as quickly as an HDD. Most systems using an SSD automatically have a dynamically allocated page file on the SSD. The wear on the drive depends on how much you run out of ram and have to use a page file.

Yes, you can change the drive the page file is on. Likely the page file is on your boot drive as it is automatically managed by Windows, however, you can double check.
Navigate to here: Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory. There you can change the boot drive and amount of virtual memory.

View: https://imgur.com/yJ52PxZ
The swap file at me now costs on HDD where Windows is installed. Before that I did not have an SSD and I do not know all the subtleties with this disk. Of course I have read the information about setting up a recommendation, but there are some points on which the opinion of people is divided in half. A Paging file is one of those things. That's why I'm confused.
Don't worry about it. The drive will work, right up until the moment it doesn't.

In terms of TBW, current consumer level drives can last years in typical usage. Too many write cycles is not really a consideration.
As you can see, I can only hope for his long work, because I do not see more accurate information. Well at least there is an indicator of wear in Kingston SSD Manager.
__

Thank you guys for answering me and explained some points! It's really important to me.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
The swap file at me now costs on HDD where Windows is installed. Before that I did not have an SSD and I do not know all the subtleties with this disk. Of course I have read the information about setting up a recommendation, but there are some points on which the opinion of people is divided in half. A Paging file is one of those things. That's why I'm confused.

Some people are still relying on ancient information regarding SSDs and lifespan.

With first generation consumer small drives, it was sort of an issue.
"OMG! It's gonna die early! Do everything you can to limit the writes to that drive!!"

Relevant about 10 years ago.

Today? Not an issue.

I bet a hard drive would fail much quicker than an SSD.
The 120gb A400 is rated for 40tbw.
You would have to empty and fill up that drive well over 320 times until it is likely to fail.
Writing a few GB here and there isn't going to do much.

Heck if it does fail, it only another $19 for another identical drive and a restore from backup.

My 970 EVO has about 17 TB of writes in 2 years, which I consider probably typical usage for WIn10 home user, no real content creation, no massive downloads of videos, just a few games and utilities, 3-5 hours per day of use.

At that point, 40 TB does not sound like all that much anymore....but, with new 500 GB SSDs costing $69, why worry about it..

Jun 5, 2019
Hey guys, I am quite a newbie of using SSD since last year....I am wondering does downloading file from torrent of 2-3Gb to an HDD will count for TBW on my SSD OS? But i did saw the temp(cache ) file is on HDD that I assigned. I am using A400 240gb for operating system.

And I also playing some game on the SSD, i believe it will mostly read and little bit write while playing the game, I am correct?

Lastly, Window 10 provide a very useful feature that is cast to device, I can cast a movie to my TV on same network, i believe that will consume my SSD TBW rate right? commonly 1 movie is about 2GB.

Last edited: