[SOLVED] Laptop CPU hitting usually high temperatures

Daniel Barge

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
Hey folks,
It's been like 3 days since my laptop's processor decided to turn into an inferno xD. It's an i5-5200U, I'll put a detailed description of my specs below. So basically 3 days ago it shut down when I was working on a project on Adobe Illustrator, it restared on its own and the BIOS said that this was a "Thermal Shutdown" or something close to that I guess. I installed Core Temp and NZXT Cam to monitor my CPU temperatures. Its around 49-55C when idle but it suddenly bumps up to a frickin' 95-97C when I do something as simple as watching Netflix, the load was only around 20-22% I assume. I then decided to experiment with getting the CPU into full load. The temperatures were still the same and the fans weren't going faster either which is real strange.

Now idk if it may be the software that's broken because it just changes values real fast. Like from 70C to 95C in one second type of fast. If its a problem with the processor, is there any way I may find a suitable way of cooling it down a bit because currently my whole city is under lock-down and I can't get it to a professional, neither do I have thermal paste or compressed air at home, plus I'm not that good with servicing laptops. I mean any DIY fix that could just help me go through?

Specs:
HP Notebook 14
i5-5200U processor
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 840M

P.S: I rarely put the laptop on a blanket or on my bed, its mostly on my desk but I do use it 14-15 hours a day so I guess that could be a problem. And btw what does an exclamation mark enclosed in parentheses next to my processor temperature in Core Temp mean?

Solution
sounds like dust has clogged your laptop. if you dont feel comfortable taking it apart, you may be out of luck unless you trust a neighbor that knows how to do it.

the ! i think its telling you that is a rough number. could be +-7 if i remember what most reviews say.

you can always point a really big fan at laptop.

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
sounds like dust has clogged your laptop. if you dont feel comfortable taking it apart, you may be out of luck unless you trust a neighbor that knows how to do it.

the ! i think its telling you that is a rough number. could be +-7 if i remember what most reviews say.

you can always point a really big fan at laptop.

Solution