Apr 28, 2022
Hello, and thank you in advance for any and all help! I am new to the forums. I’m trying to decide on if a laptop upgrade is worth it, unfortunately I’m not very computer component literate (working on it though!). The question I have-is it worth upgrading the laptop from what I have to something better (Alienware is what I have been looking at):

I currently have an MSI Raider:
-Intel 11th gen i9 (11980H)
-Nvidia RTX 3080 16g
-32g RAM DDR4
-240hz QHD (2560x1440) at 2.5ms, (I don’t know the nits)
-1TB SSD

Alienware (should I upgrade?):
-12th gen intel i9 (12900H)
-Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti 16g
-32g RAM DDR5 (5200 MHz)
-QHD (2560x1440) at 2ms 400 nits
-1TB SSD

I travel a lot, so a laptop fits my lifestyle more than a desktop. I’ve had the MSI under a year and the mother board crapped out, had to send to MSI, got it back seems to be ok now. I know that the newer components on the Alienware are better, but is it enough better to spend the money? To be transparent, I can afford the Alienware, money isn’t an issue, but at the same time I don’t like to waste money for little gain. I have read Alienware is a great system, if anyone has any thoughts please let me know. Games I play: WoW, SWTOR, FFXIV, StarCraft 2, Warcraft 3 ReForged.

Thank you again for any and all help.

D

Deleted member 362816

Not worth the upgrade at all going from a i9 11980H to a 12900H and 3080 to 3080ti.

Unless money doesn't matter to you at that point do what you want. But price vs performance it's just not worth it.

You already have a BEAST of a laptop.

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Nope

I doubt you would even notice the difference
Alienware is overpriced even for someone who doesnt have a laptop imho :/

If you want more performace you need a desktop (that will be noticably faster)
Or save the money and wait for next gen ;P

As the saying goes, if it aint broke, dont fix it. If your laptop does what you want it to do, dont upgrade it just cos there are newer laptops as they will get better over time. Also like hang-the-9 said, you can play the games you want on cheaper machines.