Question Laptop Key only working if pressed in exact middle

D

Deleted member 1433205

Hiya, I have an MSI GS65 9SF Stealth Laptop.

The E key is only working when pressed in the middle of the key.

Recorded a short video to explain: https://streamable.com/j5hm1t

I've tried swapping the key, the plastic part under the key & the little rubber bit with another key that works fine and it's still having the issue. Also tried cleaning under the key etc. Laptop itself was bought as a backup and has been used in total for under a month since it was purchased, but it's now out of warranty so hoping to fix it.

Any ideas on a fix please?

D

Deleted member 1433205

That sucks because E is the most common letter in English.

Anyways a brand-new replacement keyboard for your laptop can be had for ~$40 just in case it's a faulty key.
Indeed it's a pain, I can't seem to find a replacement for it in the UK/ Ireland for anywhere near that price - and even if I did it's not too easy for me to take the laptop apart as I'd have to take most the component's out to get to it.

Wondering if there is some sort of 'diy' fix or other alternative to replacing the entire keyboard.

Indeed it's a pain, I can't seem to find a replacement for it in the UK/ Ireland for anywhere near that price - and even if I did it's not too easy for me to take the laptop apart as I'd have to take most the component's out to get to it.

Wondering if there is some sort of 'diy' fix or other alternative to replacing the entire keyboard.

Can't speak for your MSI laptop but on my Thinkpad laptops, replacing the keyboard is a simple process that takes a couple of minutes.

BTW does the E key feel different from other keys when you press it?

D

Deleted member 1433205

Can't speak for your MSI laptop but on my Thinkpad laptops, replacing the keyboard is a simple process that takes a couple of minutes.

BTW does the E key feel different from other keys when you press it?
Ah yeah, this one requires complete disassembly.

Does feel slightly less responsive/ a bit longer to rebound after being pressed. No major difference.

D

Deleted member 1433205

From your description it seems that the problem occurs inside the button assembly, the area that you can't reach, that's why replacing the key cap doesn't fix it?
That would definitely make sense, though I haven't a clue myself. I got stuck after this, just hoping someone might have an alternative.

That would definitely make sense, though I haven't a clue myself. I got stuck after this, just hoping someone might have an alternative.

Hate to say it but I think your keyboard has similar design like my Asus Eee book's keyboard, it has the A key that stopped working completely, if I press it 100 times it might work once, my temporary solution is to use a small external USB keyboard.