Question Laptop screen randomly flashes black while gaming in full-screen ?

Mar 8, 2023
I got a gaming laptop about a year ago to finally be able to play all the games I've had on my list, and it's been having this issue whenever I play in fullscreen:
The game will freeze for a couple seconds, then the screen turns black for a couple seconds, then comes back. I game with an Xbox controller and this also makes the mouse cursor show up/causes cursor issues where I have to tab in/out a few times, or have to restart the game to fix it. On some games it also minimizes them, or makes the game go into windowed mode. This problem happens maybe 2 to 4 times within 3 hours, and could start happening within 10 mins to an hour into it.

MSI Raider GE76
CPU: i7-12700H 2.70GHz
RAM: 32 GB
iGPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
GPU: RTX 3070 Ti 8GB Laptop
Screen: 17" 1080p 360Hz

-Thought it might be the 360Hz refresh rate but I've been playing Fallout 4 which requires me to turn down to 60Hz to make it work and the issue still happens
-Also thought it might be a heating issue, but this still happens in less intensive games/2D games (eg. Katana Zero) where the laptop doesn't get that hot
-Whenever this issue occurs the Event Viewer shows Error Event 1000 for the Desktop Window Manager, dwm.exe
-I used Windows Focus Logger to see if another program was taking focus to cause this but it didn't show anything
-The laptop is always plugged in on best performance when I use it, and it's kept stationary on a table
-Windows 11 is up to date
-Nvidia drivers are kept up to date

I've been trying to google a solution to this for many months but only found other black screen issues that don't seem to apply to me

Mar 8, 2023
Thanks for your suggestions @helpstar

Sorry I couldn't find time to respond sooner. I can't believe I finally got the answer after months of searching from here:

So looks like if you use an Xbox One/Series controller with a wire and have this issue, try updating your controller's firmware. I've done some gaming since then and the issue hasn't occurred. So weird a controller would cause a graphical issue, and an official Microsoft one no less.

Reactions: helpstar

TRENDING THREADS