Shakuni Mama

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2015
So I have an Asus Tuf fx505dy and since 2 days, my laptop seems to just turn off (like when someone holds the power button) and restarts while gaming. After looking online there might be multiple causes like, the battery may be faulty(i replaced it 6 months ago), or the hard drive or the cpu may be overheating. How do I find and fix the issue? I'll try to monitor temps and see if its a problem.

Ps. I have not updates/installed any updates or gpu drivers for a three weeks.

Shakuni Mama

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2015
You might want to disassemble the laptop and see if the cooling assembly/vents are clogged with dirt/debris/lint. Would be a good idea to also replace the thermal paste on said laptop.
I clean my laptop every 2 months. I will repaste the thermal paste as soon as I can because the cpu is under the fans of my laptop and need a lot of disassembly.

I ran HeavyLoad for a CPU and GPU stress test. It reached 92C for my CPU and 81C for my GPU in the first 5 minutes. The temps were 93C and 82C after 15 minutes. And the graph showed no fluctuations. So I guess my CPU is not overheating. My game crashed within 10 mins of playing btw.

CrystalDiskInfo shows the Caution sign as my Reallocated Sectors Count is 9258 and keeps rising slightly as I keep using my laptop. I have ordered an SSD which I will switch to very soon.

I was playing Valorant when my laptop crashed both of the times it did. Could it be my hard drive failing for that particular game, but I have never seen a device turn off completely without a bsod for a hdd problem?

Last edited: