[SOLVED] Lenovo Thinkpad T440 only charges when the charger is connected before it's turned on

pepepapaujratam

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
The problem looks like this:

If I turn on the laptop and try to connect the charger, the power button just keeps flashing and the battery is draining. But if I connect the charger first while the laptop is off and power it on, then the battery is charging just fine under windows 10. If I disconnect the charger after this and try to plug it back in, same thing happens: flashing power button and no charging. All the threads are about the laptop not turning on but mine turns on just fine every time, it just can't accept the charger if the system is running. I updated the bios, looked around in the bios and windows settings, tried the "disable internal battery" thing, and updated all the drivers. It won't charge even if I connect it when I'm in the bios, so it has nothing to do with the system. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Solution
I’d make an Ubuntu USB and boot off that. Then test if the same thing happens in Ubuntu. If it works properly you have a Windows problem. If not then a hardware problem.