"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:th5j51t22c2lkta9iis8iqufa4bcqtkvbe@4ax.com...
> Where can I get a TON of this stuff?

There is tons of it available for free in wooden areas around Lochs in the
Grampian mountains & presumably other areas of Scotland as well. Main
problem with the natural stuff is it dries out very quickly although if you
keep it in an airtight bag and spray in a bit if water form time to time it
will last a while.

I just buy big bags of treated & dyed lichen from model railway shops, last
for years, I've got lichen well over 30 years old which is as good as new.

Martin

donnie

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:05:59 +0100, "Martin Rapier"
<m.rapier@shef.ac.uk> wrote:

>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> Where can I get a TON of this stuff?
>
>There is tons of it available for free in wooden areas around Lochs in the
>Grampian mountains & presumably other areas of Scotland as well. Main
>problem with the natural stuff is it dries out very quickly although if you
>keep it in an airtight bag and spray in a bit if water form time to time it
>will last a while.
>
>I just buy big bags of treated & dyed lichen from model railway shops, last
>for years, I've got lichen well over 30 years old which is as good as new.
>
>Martin

Excellent, thanks. African Jungle here I come :)

ty

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:05:59 +0100, "Martin Rapier"
> <m.rapier@shef.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>> Where can I get a TON of this stuff?
>>
>>There is tons of it available for free in wooden areas around Lochs in the
>>Grampian mountains & presumably other areas of Scotland as well. Main
>>problem with the natural stuff is it dries out very quickly although if
>>you
>>keep it in an airtight bag and spray in a bit if water form time to time
>>it
>>will last a while.
>>
>>I just buy big bags of treated & dyed lichen from model railway shops,
>>last
>>for years, I've got lichen well over 30 years old which is as good as new.
>>
>>Martin
>>

> Excellent, thanks. African Jungle here I come :)

I found some stuff called "reindeer moss", which looks like lichen. (I think
it's the same stuff). It's in the floral section of my craft store and was
significantly cheaper than lichen in the model railroad section.

--Ty

donnie

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:25:28 GMT, "Ty" <tylawyerSPAM@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:05:59 +0100, "Martin Rapier"
>> <m.rapier@shef.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>>>
>>>There is tons of it available for free in wooden areas around Lochs in the
>>>Grampian mountains & presumably other areas of Scotland as well. Main
>>>problem with the natural stuff is it dries out very quickly although if
>>>you
>>>keep it in an airtight bag and spray in a bit if water form time to time
>>>it
>>>will last a while.
>>>
>>>I just buy big bags of treated & dyed lichen from model railway shops,
>>>last
>>>for years, I've got lichen well over 30 years old which is as good as new.
>>>
>>>Martin
>>>

>> Excellent, thanks. African Jungle here I come :)
>
>I found some stuff called "reindeer moss", which looks like lichen. (I think
>it's the same stuff). It's in the floral section of my craft store and was
>significantly cheaper than lichen in the model railroad section.
>
>--Ty

Yes, it's available in the UK too, at flower arranging type shops.

Thanks all :)

My back yard???

mjc

Martin Rapier wrote:

> "Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>
>>Where can I get a TON of this stuff?
>

> There is tons of it available for free in wooden areas around Lochs in the
> Grampian mountains & presumably other areas of Scotland as well. Main
> problem with the natural stuff is it dries out very quickly although if you
> keep it in an airtight bag and spray in a bit if water form time to time it
> will last a while.

Just add glycerine + water -- not a great deal of either, and store in a
zip lock bag. Will last just about forever.

mjc

<m.rapier@shef.ac.uk> wrote:

>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> Where can I get a TON of this stuff?
>
>There is tons of it available for free in wooden areas around Lochs in the
>Grampian mountains & presumably other areas of Scotland as well. Main
>problem with the natural stuff is it dries out very quickly although if you
>keep it in an airtight bag and spray in a bit if water form time to time it
>will last a while.
>
>I just buy big bags of treated & dyed lichen from model railway shops, last
>for years, I've got lichen well over 30 years old which is as good as new.
>
>Martin

I've since been on EBay and there is plenty of Lichen and/or Reindeer
Moss for sale. I have yet to see how much is a LOT though, so I'll buy
some and try it out.

Thanks to all.

How much is a "lot"???

Where do you live?

I was serious, I have quite a lot just lying around on the ground.
Haven't mowed yet this year, should be a bunch.

mjc

"Martin Rapier" <m.rapier@shef.ac.uk> wrote in message
> "Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> > Where can I get a TON of this stuff?
>
> There is tons of it available for free in wooden areas around Lochs in the
> Grampian mountains & presumably other areas of Scotland as well. Main
> problem with the natural stuff is it dries out very quickly although if
you
> keep it in an airtight bag and spray in a bit if water form time to time
it
> will last a while.

Soak it in glycerine and it stays flexible for ever - that's what they do
with the stuff you buy in model shops.

donnie

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:05:32 GMT, Quid Veritas
<quidveritas@earthlink.net> wrote:

>How much is a "lot"???
>
>Where do you live?
>
>I was serious, I have quite a lot just lying around on the ground.
>Haven't mowed yet this year, should be a bunch.
>
>mjc

I was sure I had posted this, but it doesn't appear.

My e-mails to are bouncing, although I think one may have got through.

Yours is a very kind offer which I'd love to take up but isn't it a
major pain to you?

>Donnie wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:05:59 +0100, "Martin Rapier"
>> <m.rapier@shef.ac.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

>>>There is tons of it available for free in wooden areas around Lochs in the
>>>Grampian mountains & presumably other areas of Scotland as well. Main
>>>problem with the natural stuff is it dries out very quickly although if you
>>>keep it in an airtight bag and spray in a bit if water form time to time it
>>>will last a while.
>>>
>>>I just buy big bags of treated & dyed lichen from model railway shops, last
>>>for years, I've got lichen well over 30 years old which is as good as new.
>>>
>>>Martin
>>>

>> I've since been on EBay and there is plenty of Lichen and/or Reindeer
>> Moss for sale. I have yet to see how much is a LOT though, so I'll buy
>> some and try it out.
>>
>> Thanks to all.

> I was sure I had posted this, but it doesn't appear.
>
> My e-mails to are bouncing, although I think one may have got through.
>
> Yours is a very kind offer which I'd love to take up but isn't it a
> major pain to you?

Just tell me how much. This time of year it would take me 20 min to
fill a fruit box. Later on things change. The stuff literally grows on
trees, the ground, fences, rocks, you name it.

You will of course, pay shipping and packaging costs -- should be less
than buying commercially.

mjc

ok if you go to the pine woods of central Fla, you can pick it up by just
going about 10 feet off the road side, when I lived there I found the
preserving reciepe in an old model train book (or my father gave it to me
can't remember) basicly consists of using glicerin (go to a chemical
supply place to get it by the gal the little bottles are very expensive and
you need alot) and cloth dye, it's messy, sorta a pain and you have to
have a dry sunny day to do it (because you have to lay it all out on a tarp
to dry) but if you get together with several people, have them pay for
the supplies and you spend a day producing batches its relatively cheap,

your going to have to do a search for the exact reciepe this was years ago.

the end product is flexable, will last forever with normal care and is
exactly the same stuff you pay an arm and a leg for a very small amount.

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:44:36 GMT, <booboosfather@earthlink.net> wrote:

>ok if you go to the pine woods of central Fla, you can pick it up by just
>going about 10 feet off the road side, when I lived there I found the
>preserving reciepe in an old model train book (or my father gave it to me
>can't remember) basicly consists of using glicerin (go to a chemical
>supply place to get it by the gal the little bottles are very expensive and
>you need alot) and cloth dye, it's messy, sorta a pain and you have to
>have a dry sunny day to do it (because you have to lay it all out on a tarp
>to dry) but if you get together with several people, have them pay for
>the supplies and you spend a day producing batches its relatively cheap,
>

>your going to have to do a search for the exact reciepe this was years ago.
>

>the end product is flexable, will last forever with normal care and is
>exactly the same stuff you pay an arm and a leg for a very small amount.

Thanks. (Seriously) Regrettably I'm 3500 miles from central Florida :)

>"Donnie" <donnieitaly@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> Where can I get a TON of this stuff?

donnie

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:58:24 GMT, Quid Veritas
<quidveritas@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> I was sure I had posted this, but it doesn't appear.
>>
>> My e-mails to are bouncing, although I think one may have got through.
>>
>> Yours is a very kind offer which I'd love to take up but isn't it a
>> major pain to you?
>>

>Just tell me how much. This time of year it would take me 20 min to
>fill a fruit box. Later on things change. The stuff literally grows on
>trees, the ground, fences, rocks, you name it.
>
>You will of course, pay shipping and packaging costs -- should be less
>than buying commercially.
>
>mjc

I'm up for this, how do you want to proceed?